Water in Mast

Windwalker

Hi fellow Sailers I am new to this Forum , and new to Sailing a Sunfish which seems to be a great little boat , I have sailed many different Boats and this Sunfish seems to be the ticket for me. I have had it out only twice, The Mast is brand new fresh out of the wrapper, I sailed it the first day, and a week later installed a 4" horn cleat on the mast . After drilling and tapping the holes I heard water in the Mast, about a Half cup full which I sucked out with a turkey Baster. It was fresh water not Salt possibly from Condensation? I live and Sail in Florida and noticed that the mast was hot to the touch from traveling to the launch site,. It was in a Spar bag tied on top of the Boat. Has anyone ever heard of this? I would appreciate any infor Thank you. Windwalker

Water may be entering thru the Pop Rivets holding the mast top and bottom caps on. You may be able to stop the ingress of water with a little sealant applied over the rivets. This would only be a temporary fix. A more permanent fix would be to remove the caps, apply sealant (3M Marine Silicon), rotate the cap slightly and secure with tapered groove pins (P/N 79513). I would have suggested 3M 4200/5200 which would seal better and stronger, but after having to replace a cap that was sealed with 5200, I can't. I had to cut the cap off and then cut the remaining inside the mast and peel it out, a real PITA. The silicon will make things easier in the future.

Thanks Supercub I Appreciate the input. I will check out the pins and try to seal them and see what happens. The only puzzel is that the water seemed to be fresh water and I sail in salt water leading me to believe it may be some kind of condensation.

Back