UV Sail Protection

Gerard

Do people use the 303 Aerospace Protectant to protect their sails? Is it recommended? I would like to get a long life out of my sail, but apparently it makes the sail slightly softer, which, according to the 303-fabricant might be an advantage. I personally think this will make a laser-sail perform worse...
Any thoughts or experiences?

G.

The cloth used in the Laser sail will break down from luffing/sailing in hvy air long before UV degrades the cloth (unless you leave your sail out in the sun all day/everyday.....) I can't say I know anyone who uses 303 to get longer life out of there sails....

If you really think you have to protect from UV because the sail will be exposed all day, every day, Seamkote would be a better choice, it's a proven product in the cruising world. I'm not sure I would put it over the whole sail, but I would put it over the stitching, as the stitching will degrade faster then the sailcloth since it is a much smaller denier.

Thanks for the Seamkote tip!
The sail will not be exposed all day every day, of course. Yet, I wonder how much influence uv-exposure does have on breaking down the sail. Does it speed up the "normal" process (caused by sailing the sail) of breaking down the quality of the sail. Of course, the sailmakers make better profits if the life of sails is shorter (especially in their quasi-monopoly-position), so they will mostly likely not provide this kind of information.
I actually found the tip for using 303 in the DRlaser Faq's, and I am quite sure this tip is based upon some kind of experience.
Anyone?

Back