Two hours between sailing

dpearson

OK, need a bit of help. If you sail on a lake and bring your Laser into a dock/pier, what do you do with it if you're not sailing it for and hour or two? Just release the outhaul and let the sail flap around? Doesn't sound good. No beach/launch area nearby. I don't really want to drop the mast, etc. Can't roll the sail around the mast because of the battens. What do people usually do? Only real option I can think of is to dock, tie off, release the outhaul, tighten the vang to keep the boom attached, then tip the boat over and pull the battens and then wrap the sail around the mast. There has to be something easier.

I tie up at the dock, leave the vang and outhaul on, and go away for an hour to eat and socialize. The only thing that happens is that sometimes the boat capsizes, which doesn't seem that big of a deal for a Laser. Fine so far.

Whenever I have had to park it in the water I usually take off the outhaul and clew tie-down, lower the aft end of the boom to the deck then vang on tight to stop the boom slipping off. You could optionally then wrap a couple of turns of the sail round the mast to minimise flapping area. I think you should be able to avoid an unattended capsize then.

That's where older, practice, or lower-cost, sails (anyone heard of I.....ty?) come in handy.

I remember Tracy Usher telling us in another thread that flapping will rapidly 'degenerate' a sail in the sense that it won't be optimal for high-level racing anymore. This degeneration will also depend on the wind strength, obviously. Intentionally capsizing the boat isn't a good option either in a crowded environment.

Intentional capsizing is an innovative thought. Where I sail, the lake is pretty shallow (5') with a very mucky bottom, so the mast will get stuck in the muck unless I tie a milk jug or something similar to the top prior to capsizing.

I don't like the idea of a luffing sail flapping around for an hour or so, not when this is my only sail.

Only other option I can think of is to sail it over to a piece of land rather than a pier and intentionally capsize it onto the land itself. This is the one thing I don't like about a sleeved sail. But the Laser is still a cool boat anyway!

If you give it a couple of big loose turns (to accomodate the battens) around the mast and tied it off then I think it would not really flap much. Haven't tried it though.

Hey,

When I was at sailing school (LONG TIME AGO IT SEEMS), if there was little wind, just leave it with the vang and cunninham slack and the main pulled through (so as not to start sailing should something get fouled).

If it was windier (and as mentioned you are using a good sail) it is worth the 5 mins it take to pull the mast. I only had one sail ( I think I still have it) so most days it would come out and just lay it on the dock. Once you do it 10 times or so, you'll find little tricks to make it faster/easier.

I should say that I have not done this with the new rigging - only the old - so it may be more complicated with the new.

Just a thought - are there any power boats making big waves or is there a chop? If there is, then I think you're better off pulling the mast as all that slopping around is not good for the boat - very herky jerky. Also - pop up the rudder so that it is not swinging all over - that is hard on the gudgeons. Not sure if this is me being overly protective, but ....

Good luck,
Matt

Something I have always wondered about is this.

If you have to leave the mast and sail up for an hour or two, is it better for the sail to leave it attached to the boom or to undo the outhaul and let the sail flap freely?

I've always assumed that it does less damage to the sail to leave boom attached but have no evidence to prove it. And if I'm right, that leaving the sail on the boom is better for the sail, does it make any difference (to sail wear) whether you leave the vang on or off, and whether you have the outhaul loose or tight?

I think the goal is to minimise flapping. Boom up probably helps with this. I just don't like leaving it unattended with the boom up. The main can snag the transom and tip the boat in a gust. Just prefer to take all the power out of the rig by dettaching the boom. But then the only way to stop flapping without demasting would probably be to roll the sail round the mast battens and all.

Tighten the cunningham, loosen the vang and outhaul, but leave them attached. This will minimize flapping while the rig is up and the tendency of the boat to sail on its own and capsize while at the dock unattended. If it is blowing tie the bow to the dock, capsize the boat and secure the top of the mast to the dock. If there is wave action, I like the capsize the boat on land part. We do this at our club if it is blowing and we have time before the first race.

I definitely don't like the sail flapping. Agree that leaving the boom attached helps reduce flapping but it also encourages capsizing. Removing the mast is pretty complicated: gotta take off the downhaul, detach the vang, detach the outhaul, and pull the boom off. I don't like the idea of simply pulling the mast+boom+sail out at once (after removing the mainsheet). That's tough to put back into a rocking boat from a dock.

So far, best option I think is to remove the outhaul. To stop the sail from flapping, semi-capsize the boat and then just pull the battens while standing on the dock. Then wrap the sail around the mast.

If it's not much wind there won't be a problem with leaving the boat but if there is some wind you should defently not leave the sail flapping.
Flapping is the main cause of wear on most sails (if they are used alot in very sunny conditions sun will be the main cause but if thats not the cause it's flapping), other than the sails beeing blown out (which obviously dosn't make the sail break, which flapping will in the long run).

Back