Trailer tube for spars and sail

winever

Went to the local building supply folks and they didn't come up with it. I've seen a material that is maybe 12 inches (or less) but much thinner than schedule 40 PVC. What is it used for when not transporting our toys? Thanks, Winever.

BTW, also wondering if anyone has built a sail rack out of this stuff to keep at the club? Does ot need to be water tight? Need air holes with screens on the bottom to make it breathable? Anyone? Bueller?

Thanks, Winever.

We used 8" schedule 40 tube on our trailer. For end caps, we purchased lockable well caps that are water tight. We have not had any problems storing the sails in there.

Our club made the mistake of fabricating racks made of black corrugated drainage pipe. The mistake was open ends. Many critters found great nesting places In the sails.

If your locale has carpenter ants, their colony will stain the sail. Red squirrels may chew the fabric.

My oddest critter-encounter occurred when I raised the sail and had sunflower seeds shower over me. Our birdfeeder's "alfa" chipmunk had run them out on the dock and stored them in my sail!

Back