Took a break from boat work today...

NightSailor

Captain
I wanted to sand and varnish some of my Sunfish boards, but without a good surface to work on, I redirected and I spent my day building a workbench. It came out rather nice.

Workbench228.jpg

The side walls of this tiny garage were lined with tool boxes, boxes of fiberglass, all sorts of stuff--which migrated onto the bench during the cleanup. Now I need to make some storage to free up space on the bench.

In the past, it was impossible for anyone to get in the passenger side while the car was in the garage. I decided to end that. Also, no one uses the front door. My girl brings her friends in the house through here. I should paint the floor and walls.

Next up, I plan to build at 7' high U-shape shelves above the bench, and move supplies and things up in the air.

I also managed to sell an Origo 3000 stove and a Danforth anchor today, and started cleaning out my loft--above the lights.

Two people saw all this activity and stopped by wanting to buy a Sunfish in good condition for $500 or less. People want bargains in the Spring? How stupid? I told them both to try in October.

Speaking of stupid, we are planning on tearing this garage down and building a bigger garage. I couldn't stand waiting--it was driving me crazy!

BTW, how do you like the new design, Sunfish double coaming?

Workbench229.jpg

Are those two inspection ports in the footwell?
Did't know you could do that...Nice!

Inspection ports on deck are UGLY! I usually put 6" ports in the cockpit--my third boat with these. So far I haven't needed them for any work around the daggerboard trunk. I needed at least one so I can install a hiking strap--two looks not only symetric, but IMHO, they look good there--like they belong. On this older Sunfish, I put in a 4" port on the aft end because it is the only way to install a hiking strap on the back side.

Once I finish my rudder repair (awaiting parts) I'll glass over the hole on the deck. I have a little more grinding and fairing to do in the rudder area.

Then the hard part--making the gelcoat look nice. I'm going to try using Home Depot for tinting. I bought a small container--a pint, but I'm now thinking about tinting a quart. I'm afraid they won't be able to tint pints accurately. I've never had success blending gelcoat colors well. For the bottom--I don't care what it looks like, as long as it's smooth. But for the decks, well, I like a pretty deck--it is the most visible part of the boat. I can't spend a lot of time on it, I have two other much bigger boats I need to get working on. I have two weeks to finish my 30' Etchells, and then a short break and I haul out my 46' sloop in mid June.

Inspection ports on deck are UGLY! I usually put 6" ports in the cockpit--my third boat with these. So far I haven't needed them for any work around the daggerboard trunk. I needed at least one so I can install a hiking strap--two looks not only symetric, but IMHO, they look good there--like they belong. On this older Sunfish, I put in a 4" port on the aft end because it is the only way to install a hiking strap on the back side.

Once I finish my rudder repair (awaiting parts) I'll glass over the hole on the deck. I have a little more grinding and fairing to do in the rudder area.

Then the hard part--making the gelcoat look nice. I'm going to try using Home Depot for tinting. I bought a small container--a pint, but I'm now thinking about tinting a quart. I'm afraid they won't be able to tint pints accurately. I've never had success blending gelcoat colors well. For the bottom--I don't care what it looks like, as long as it's smooth. But for the decks, well, I like a pretty deck--it is the most visible part of the boat. I can't spend a lot of time on it, I have two other much bigger boats I need to get working on. I have two weeks to finish my 30' Etchells, and then a short break and I haul out my 46' sloop in mid June.

I'm not sure if tints for gelcoat are the same as what they use for their paint. Also, they're set up to match a color with the expectation of the color to lighten as it dries. AFAIK, gel coat doesn't change color as it cures.

If I were you, if you have the piece of the deck you removed, take it up to a paint store (such as Sherwin Williams). Perhaps buy some supplies you need from them so you're neighborly and get their advice on the ratios of colors. I know the managers get specialized training with colors. If you bring the pigments, they may try and play with it if you're willing to leave it up there for a day. I know the managers get specialized training with colors.

Back