Tiny stainless "C" clip for rudder pin assembly

tomcat89

Some time ago a buddy of mine bought an old Sunfish with a hex bolt for a rudder pin. It was rusty and too thin and it popped out from time to time when he sailed but he didn't seem to mind. I bought a new rudder pin assembly for him from the only store for many miles that carried Sunfish parts. They no longer carry Sunfish parts. Anyhow, I recently saw he was still using the old bolt. He said he lost the little "C" clip trying to install the new pin and spring to the rudder. Does anyone have any idea where to find the little stainless steel "C" clip for the rudder pin/spring? I could not find it listed anywhere. If not, perhaps someone could direct me to a good Sunfish dealer who might be willing to inquire from his supplier about it.

Some of the newer pins also have a small hole for a stainless cotter pin as well as the C clip option. Those clips can be a bear without a tool. I didn't have a tool the last time I changed one so I went with the pin.

Replacing the springs on the side can also be a pain. In case you don't already know how, there is an easy way. Hook one spring end onto a post and then run a piece of strong twine through the other end to give yourself something to grab onto. Stretch the spring and attach it, then pull the twine out.

Thanks for all the great advice. This pin may have a hole for a cotter pin, but no cotter pin! I like the idea to pull back the spring with twine. I found the pieces on line and have ordered them. Don't know why I could not see them before. I also did not think to lend my 'C clip pliers to make the job easier. We will get the job done now, unless he's lost another part!

Sounds like it might be best for you to go over and put it on yourself. I have some friends like that and they will loose the snap ring pliers also if I don't go over and do it myself.

Back