Time adjustments for radials against full rigs?

Meryl

This is my first season of frostbiting and at last Sunday's race I was the only radial (versus 18 full rigs; yeah, our fleet rocks!). We all started together. I believe that even if there were a couple of more radials we'd still all start together.

Wind was pretty light and I could have sailed my full rig -- but I was told that it is bad form to switch between the two based on conditions and since I weigh in the 120s I need the radial in heavy conditions. I'm fine committing to the radial for the whole series, so that's not an issue (although I do expect to see some other folks switching between the two).

So here's my question... should I get a time adjustment when sailing against all full rigs or does my weight/sail ratio make us equal?

Before I raise the issue with my fleet, I'd like to hear other's thoughts.

Many thanks!

The RYA sets the PY for a laser at 1078, and the Radial at 1101 for 2007. As the results have just gone in from most clubs, and we've had a fairly light season, they may change slightly for next season, but I doubt it would be significant.
From personal experience, the speed difference gets less and less as the wind gets more and more!! In some of the GP events around here, the radials whitewash it when it really blows!
There is an adjustment available, but whether the club officers can be bothered to do the maths is another story. Just hope it blows a bit, and you'll be near the front on speed anyway!

we have a fleet of 7 and there are only 2 full rigs ... yet the radials demolish us most of the time.. admitedly we only just started (on lasers, i've been sailing for over 16 years) and the radial sailors have been sailing lasers well over 16 years.

This is my first season of frostbiting and at last Sunday's race I was the only radial (versus 18 full rigs; yeah, our fleet rocks!). We all started together. I believe that even if there were a couple of more radials we'd still all start together.

Wind was pretty light and I could have sailed my full rig -- but I was told that it is bad form to switch between the two based on conditions and since I weigh in the 120s I need the radial in heavy conditions. I'm fine committing to the radial for the whole series, so that's not an issue (although I do expect to see some other folks switching between the two).

So here's my question... should I get a time adjustment when sailing against all full rigs or does my weight/sail ratio make us equal?

Before I raise the issue with my fleet, I'd like to hear other's thoughts.

Many thanks!

I can't tell where you are sailing but in my frostbiting 'environment' it's not considered bad form to switch rigs.

This frostbiting is informal and I doubt that I could convince the RC (usually just one person) to time all the boats.

All in all, go with the flow; have fun and consider the frostbiting as good practice.

"Bad form" to switch? That actually doesn't seem likely. It's hard to imagine a group thinking that a 120 pounder might have too much advantage if switching is allowed. At the US Master's events, we can freely switch, although few do it. But there are very few 120 lb. Masters ;-)

I know Newport has a few who switch, how about Cedar Point? or others? Our Summer long series in VT allows switching, or maybe I should say that noone cares at all if you switch. So, where are you racing?

I'd ask around a bit more, and get more opinions about switching. A time adjustment is a real long shot, the total opposite of one-design....

Al

Switching rigs is allowed and encouraged at Cedar Point's Frostbite series. Over the past 4 years the number of radials particpating is steadily growing, driven by more younger sailors getting involved. I think there can be at least 10 radials in the typical fleet of 50 boats now.

So far we all start together, with no adjustments in scoring, but we are going to revisit this after the season is over.

Back