Tiller Universal Problem

King of Ducks

I have been having problems with the universal on my tiller and was wondering if I could get some help with this. I've been trying to remove it to replace it with a new, better fitting one. However, of the screws is completely rusted and I can't get it to budge. Any suggestions on how I could fix this problem? It's a screw for a slot-nosed screw driver.

First, liberally apply some rust penetrant (Rust Buster or Liquid Wrench) and let it soak in. Then try the screw driver - if you have already stripped the head, you can cut a new groove with a dremel tool if you have one.

Drilling it out is a PIA, but if you can knock the head off and get the saddle off, you can then get some vice grips on the stub and take it out that way.

Last resort is the hacksaw - cut the old saddle off, cut the frozen bolt flush with the tiller and relocate the saddle fwd or aft 1/2"

Thanks for the idea of using the Dremel. I used it to cut the saddle away from the screw. Then used vice grips to turn the screw while inserting a screwdriver into the tiller to wedge the nut holding the screw immobile. I was then able to replace the saddle with the new one. Many Thanks.

Back