Tacking angles

Please explain how tacking angles change with windspeed, and why.
(Really I guess this is related to- How does your pointing ability change with windspeed?)
Thanks -

it would have a bunch to do with how the water is and how overpowered you are.

Since I'm small, in moderate and heavy air and flat water, I can point like hell since it helps me keep the boat flat. In waves, not as high since pinching will cause the waves to slow me down.

More specifically, in moderate air when I can keep the boat flat on my own, I'd point as high as possible without pinching, to go for maximum speed. In heavier air I'd pinch to help keep the boat flat.

In light air and flat water, you point lower to keep speed up. Don't want to pinch off all your power.

This sounds more complicated than it is. Both apparent wind and your pointing ability change with boat speed, but it does not matter to you at the helm. You always sail and adjust sail trim according to apparent wind (the wind you feel). So, just point as high as you can on the beat without losing boat speed.

Tacking angles and pointing ability change with the conditions and are always dependent upon boat speed and efficiency of lifting forces in the foils.

Generally the faster a boat is moving the better flow there is over the foils therefore causing additional more efficient lift and allowing the boat to point higher.

This was a bit of the report from the Masters Worlds in another thread...

"...We headed inshore in a light breeze with lumpy slop and big swells – slow going. Only one pin boat was able to tack and cross me. I tacked to cover the German. We slogged it out for 30 minutes trading lead positions, powered up with lots of foot and vang, and sheeted way out to keep moving – we must have been tacking though 120 degrees. ..."

So, I'm guessing the range is maybe 80 degrees best case to the above 120 in chop and no wind.

So a related question - How do you good sailors best judge when you're on the layline, and not miss too low or waste distance overstanding.

Back