Tacking angle

Signal Charlie is right, the race sails have power which builds speed for pointing.

Are you roll tacking? The foil board helps a lot in tacking. The old boards would side-slip after a tack, the foil board hold the position much better.

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Back to sailing fundamentals:
1. Especially on a Sunfish, don't sheet in too much going upwind. On starboard tack one can sheet in a bit more; having the clew above the corner of the stern is about right.
2. Learn to roll tack

3. Use a vane on the upper spar (gaff). Can be as simple as a clothes hanger with tape (remember tape?). With your favorite music of course.

L&VW

2) There's space under the deck—at the bridle—for a motorcycle battery strapped-in on one side, and a trolling motor bracket on the other. The two boxes can be made self-bailing. The trolling motor shaft can be cut shorter, and all the [labeled] wires slipped off the hand control/tiller. (To be reconnected later to the control/tiller). Wires can be fed under the bridle area. The connexions can be simplified, as you don't need reverse or variable speeds..
Here's the shortened trolling motor shaft, destined for a permanent "tractor" canoe installation:

Attachments

The prevailing wind blows directly on to our beach so an easy tack port or starboard gets me well of the beach then i can reach all day and run home. With a combination of uphaul and gooseneck locations I keep the boom high at the cockpit to allow my old stiff bones to duck under for a good clean tack

L&VW

Sailing my second season against a perfect Viking with the original sail, my Intensity "race-cut" sail gives me about a 1 mph edge. It's almost embarassing to zoom out ahead without trying.

It also might help to stay away from shores, except in places where they help to funnel wind.