Sunfish Mainsail Rigging Help

jacobm01

Hello all,

My brother-in-law recently purchased a used Sunfish (circa 1980s--exact year uncertain). However, we are having difficulty sailing it, physically, because of what we think is a problem with the rigging of the mainsail line.

The current rigging is below:

View attachment 1075

As you can see, the 'mainsail line' begins near the mast, extends the entire length of the boom through the endmost block, back to the center block, and ends in the cockpit. Currently, we are using that line to pull the sail in and out and, as you might imagine, it is physically demanding. When sailing, the pulley systems are not working and we are forced to pull the ENTIRE boom when adjusting the sail. My inspection of pics online, specifically here: make me think that the 'tiller wire' is supposed to be the 'anchor' point for the mainsail line, it then goes through the endmost block, to the one closest to the cockpit, and then to the pilot of the boat.

Can someone please review this and help a novice sailer with the correct rigging of this boat?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Best regards

Attachments

• Sunfish Rigging.jpg
    Sunfish Rigging.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 58
Thanks so much! After I confirmed my thoughts with this manual I went out and re-rigged the boat and took it for a quick sail. It is perfect!

Best regards,

Back