Sunfish Lasers/Quality?

Mick

Ok....I've read that there have been some problems with lasers that were manufactured by Sunfish.

Do all Sunfish Lasers have problems or is this more of a "I had a bad Ford once, so all Fords are bad!" kind of thing?

I'm asking because I recently came across a '93; it was donated to an organization that's selling it off, so I have to assume that they have no knowledge of its past use. I understand the basics of what to look for in a used boat, but as this would be my first laser purchase, I really don't have a frame of reference to compare it against.

It's selling for $2000.00 w/trailer & nothing more than the stardard equipment.

Any thoughts...

Thanks,

Mick

Hi,

I owned a similar boat, 148xxx, and it was ok for many years. Eventually the decks got soft right under the upwind seat, so that you could flex them 1/4 inch. This could have been from heavy use, but also could have been because it was always stored deck down. Our club had the prior sail number hull, and it didn't seem to have this problem, but had 1/3 the use. Otherwise the boat was ok, although I suspected the hull was thin in places. I'm sure others will chim in with stories, as this group of boats is rather suspect.

That's an ok price, if the boat is in nice shape, incl. bottom, mast pocket, straight spars, etc. There is a hugh difference between boats based on use/abuse, I think more so than just the manufacturer, at least in that price range. The trailer adds value, if it's a laser-specific trailer. Maybe you can fill the mast step and see it it drains down? In Northern climates, trailered boats are often left poorly covered, and upright, thus a full mast step freezes and splits. They'll often flex back to near original shape in the spring, making it hard to tell, other than that they leak.

Good luck

Al Russell 66451

Thanks....I'm going to take a peek at it if for no other reason than to just satisfy my curiousity. It does't cost anything to look.

Thanks,

Mick

There were some real problems with deck and cockpit delaminations around '93 and '94...Tap around the deck area mostly where you sit/hike as well as the cockpit floor and if you here hollow thuds you could have delams. Can be fixed with epoxy and vaccuum bags but you should tell the sell and pay much less. SF The Boathouse

Back