Sunfish boom blocks (both swivel or only one swivel block)

M25max

On the stock Sunfish the front boom block is not swiveling and the rear boom block is a swiveling block. I am installing a ratcheting mainsheet block and I wonder if I should change the front boom block to a swiveling type to avoid binding. I read in another thread that the front block can be changed to a swiveling type per the class rules. Is there any downside to changing the front boom block to a swiveling type?

1719750961425.jpeg

Does it make a difference if you are holding the main sheet by hand versus using a deck mounted ratcheting block?

It does not. Skipper does not use a deck gadget, she likes the control and better feel of the sheet, as designed by Alcort and stock for the 1960s. For young sailors it might be an idea to save the gadgets for later, a ratchet block is one more gadget to jam the sheet. If you are adding a deck block, make sure the sheet is long enough that the sail can go all of the way forward, otherwise after a capsize recovery the sail can catch air and the boat can sail off without a skipper. You also need a means to keep the daggerboard attached to the boat, either a simple lanyard 1/8" line or most folks nowadays use a bungee hooked board to bow handle.

IMG_0020.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a rigging kit from West Coast Sailing. The halyard is 25ft. Do you think that halyard is long enough for the sail to go all the way forward? The rigging kit comes with a bungee for the daggerboard.

Back