Spinnaker/Davit

c14_Kris

Has anyone ever tried to use a spinnaker on their boat? If so what are the dimentions?

Also, my sailing club has a davit for to pull boats out, I have heard of people doing the same with the capri. What kind of rig dose one use to do that?

spinnaker

Can't speak to the davit, but the class rules don't allow spinnakers so I don't know that I've seen one. The Capri has a lot of canvas to start with -- I woudl think it would be a real handful with even more sail area, but more experienced sailors than i can speak to that.

Spinnaker

Currently I am not very interested in racing so class rules would not be an issue, I just want somthing for a little extra push on those light wind days.

You could probably use a kite off a CFJ or a 420. Its alot of rigging to add since the 14.2 isn't rigged for a kite out of the box. I doubt the boat will sail any faster with a spinny but it will spend your money faster for sure. Sounds like you'll have some fun getting there. Do you currently use a whisker pole on the jib to go downwind?

regarding the lifting harness for the 14.2, this is a copy of what Ed Jones wrote sometime ago.

Lifting Sling
Some clubs use a hoist for lifting boats in and out of the water. For the Capri 14.2 the hoisting sling attaches to shackles added to the shroud bases and to the aft hiking strap fitting. The lines come together just forward of the barney post, about 3' up. Tie the lines to a heavy duty stainless steel ring at the apex. To attach at the shakles, use heavy-duty SS carabiners. Make the two fwd. lines about 6' long each and the aft one about 8' long. Use heavy line, NLT 3/8". Tie them in with bowlines and make the final adjustments to them at the hoist, where you can raise the boat a few inches and try it out. Best if the boat hangs down by the bow slightly.

At the bottom of the shroud adjuster plate, in the last hole where the clevis pin goes to attach to the deck plate, I fish a peice of spectra and tie it into a small loop. Same ting on the other side of the boat. I then can clip and unclip the lifting harness to these two points.
Richard

Back