Spar Bags and beach storage

moonie

Hey all,
I'm new to this board and to Sunfish sailing in general. I just recently bought a 1977 and restored it, and am absolutely in love with this boat. I'm planning on storing it on the beach, the hull, mast and spars. I'm concerned that mildew and rot will destroy the sail if I don't keep it waterproofed somehow, does anybody have experience with the Sunfish Direct spar bags? They say that they're canvas, and "Stands up to the elements", but no mention of waterproof. I was thinking also of getting a long piece of PVC pipe and two end caps, and storing them on the boat that way, any advice?
Also, I'm in school at The College of Charleston, SC. Anybody around here wanna go sailin'? :)

You dont want a water proof bag, that for sure will rot the sail. You want ventilation where you store it. Even then its gonna die slowly unless you take it out and use it.

I was given a complete sail found in a navy barge in Charleston and it had rotted a little just sitting inside for many years, just the humidity there is hard on it. I ended up using it for sun shade while camping.

FYI I kept a Hobbie 16 close to Charleston at Isle of the Palms on the beach for years and just took the sail off after sailing, the boat stayed right on the public beach. I think I got about 6 years from that sail and then ordered a new one as the salt and humid air are hard on the sail.

I had alot of sailboats boats in Charleston while going to college and remember the CoC sailers out there in the harbor. I love that vortex area between Sullivans Island and IoP, the waves are huge! Great for jumping the boat!

Back