Soft foredeck- How much should I worry??

Steve

The foredeck on my 70's boat is pretty soft. Feels like it delaminated, but might just be fatigued. I'm guessing the repair is major. I certainly don't want to start popping the hull-deck seam to laminate the underside of the deck. Thankfully, the hull itself is very stiff and the mast step appears fine.

As long as the deck doesn't leak, since it doesn't seem to be a structural area, can I just use the boat and not worry about the spongy foredeck?
Thanks...Steve.

Steve,
in my experiance, your Laser-deck will not become better, while sailing with this soft areas at the bow.
1st to do: Get the hull dry and meanwhile study the advices from the drLaser.org webside (at area "Maintenance and Fittness" and a bit at "FAQ"-area). To say it again: water IN the deck-material would let your Laser die (more or less slow). Get your hull dry not with laying it for hours in the sun, thats also not good. Put it in the shadow, where it is dry and warm (open the transom bung and, if you have some, all inspection ports and ventilate the hull through the I-ports).
Before you can start your restaurations, the hull must be absolutely dry (as dry as it can be). That will need some time (probably some days).
Thats all I can say, I´m not a big expert in this business, sorry.
Bye-bye
LooserLu

Back