setting up a mast

benice

I'm a female sailor with a Laser that hasn't been in the water for a few years. I used to sail with another person, but he's gone, and I don't know if I can get the mast set up. I have a fairly serious shoulder injury although I'm very strong.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do? I've been considering getting a radial rig for my older laser, but so far haven't done it.

how is the area that you launch at is it just like off the dolly ramp and sail or do you have like docks

well try this position your boat on a dock and put it in while standing on the dock works for me when im on full

I'm not sure I can stand the mast up with the sail on, even if I wrap the sail around it. I'm not sure there's anything around that I could wedge it against to stand it up either.

The other question is would a radial set up be any lighter/easier for me to deal with?

I sail a radial rig and its noticably lighter to pick up the mast than with the full rig. Cant really think of an easier way to get the mast (with sail) onto the boat - maybe just ask someone for a hand...

I'm not sure I can stand the mast up with the sail on, even if I wrap the sail around it. I'm not sure there's anything around that I could wedge it against to stand it up either.

The other question is would a radial set up be any lighter/easier for me to deal with?

The only way I can stand the Standard mast up is to wedge it against something, dolly or car wheel works well. After it's upright, keep it absolutely upright while lifting it straight up. When I first started, I always asked a passerby at my club for help. The men seemed happy to oblige. :)

Another thing you could do is capsize the boat in the water and place the rig in from sideways. There's an old thread around here somewhere about that from a guy who did that routinely, and you may find it if you use the Search feature.

A Radial rig is noticeably lighter and that is one of the things that makes it easier to sail.

I'm a little behind here Capt. I still have to stand the two piece mast with sail up, and lift it up onto the mast step on the boat, right?

I think Merrily's suggestion of tipping the boat over might be best. Unless there's something I'm not getting.

Try using a pulley system.

Tie a line around the mast where you attach the boom. Take the long end of the line parallel to the mast up close to the tip, do a little loop-knot around the mast and throw the rest of the line over a tree branch or something. Raise the mast and lower it into the mast step.

NOTE: Make sure you don't tightly tie the top - just a loose-ish loop around a feet or two below the very top of the mast. You want to easily pull the line later and remove the loop over the top, when you untie the line from the mast/boom-pin. This loop is only for guidance - to keep the mast straight up - it's not to do any of the lifting.

NOTE2: Make sure you tie the line at the boom-pin thing on the mast, whose name escapes me right now, so that the line won't slip up or down the mast. This knot will carry the full weight of the mast+sail so make sure it is well made.

NOTE3: Call me crazy but I've seen it done, although I had to modify the technique a bit for it to be applicable to a laser and your circumstances. Does take quite a bit of line, though.

Good luck!

put the bare mast into the boat first, then tip the boat on its side until the masthead hits the ground. Then take the sail and walk it down the mast and then right the boat. Easy!

actually the way I do it is I carry a step stool so my feet are just above the deck so you are level with the boat it makes it a lot easer.

Here's what you do, rig the mast and sail, and all the jazz. Lay it on the ground, clean ground would be nice. Start from the top, pick and it up over your head, and walk forward so it gets higher and higher into the air. When it's straight up, STOP! Now this is where you pick it up, and drop it in the mast well. Hand placement is key here, all about proper balance, and it is different for everyone. Just above the gooseneck, but below the sail for you lower hand, and just about your head up the mast usually works.

If you still can't do it. I suggest you marry someone or find a boyfriend/girlfriend to do it for you, or ask nicely. But in my honest opinion, if you can't get your mast in your boat, you shouldn't be sailing. God help you if you capsize! Time for you to hit the gym!

*Seeing as how you (benice) have a shoulder injury, I can understand this. I've sailed an entire 4 day regatta having all the muscles pulled in my left shoulder/upper arm, and had to sail with my left arm glued to my side. It was the most painful thing to ever happen to me. I could not move my arm. Take you injured shoulder side and hand, and use it as your bottom hand when on the mast. It will initially have to be used for lifting the mast, but once it's in the air, it will be used for guiding, along with with the upper. The key is that you don't have to lift your injured arm in the air

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it. However.....

Gee Ross B. Why didn't I think of that? A husband? How did I ever manage to get this far without one?

Or wife if thats your persuasion..... Or son, daughter, grandchild, grandparent, neighbor, etc.....

put the bare mast into the boat first, then tip the boat on its side until the masthead hits the ground. Then take the sail and walk it down the mast and then right the boat. Easy!

Maybe even just put the lower section in 1st and then tip the boat over, then insert the top section and sail.....

I think he has that turned around. Insert the bottom section, tip the boat, add the top section and the sail, and flip it back.

You could use the polevault technique, but you'd have to put your beer down first and state, "Hey ya'll watch this!" before doing it.........

whatever method you choose, always, always, make sure the bottom plug of the mast is clean before inserting into the step. you may be struggling with the mast and sail, and pick up sand, gravel, or mud on that base plug. if that material gets in the step, it will act like sandpaper and wear down the step.

the wrapping of the sail around the mast sounds like good advice. it can be difficult, in a windy setup area, to get that mast and sail up and into the step. that applies to everyone - even Ross and his husband.

if your club or sailing area has a wall or building to set up "in the lee", it may help cut down on the wind. When you do wrap/unwrap the sail, keep maintaining the alignment of the sail so it stays in a line coming straight back off the mast. it's almost impossible to straighten that top sleeve once it's up.

When lifting the mast from horizontal to vertical be aware of the wind direction and keep the top of the mast upwind. Thus, as you lift the mast so the wind will help it up. Then watch you don’t let the mast swing over so the top is downwind as it can then be difficult to lift it back upright as you are then fighting both gravity and the wind.

Ian

Back