Self tapping screws

Thread starter #23
I did one inspection port with the self drilling screws, the other with nuts & bolts. Two of the self-drilling screws wouldn't completely tighten. Other than that, it worked ok.
The nuts & bolts method was more expensive, but also seems to be more solid.

I caulked with M3 4200, as shown below.

I noticed that due to the curvature of the deck, I had some gaps, so I decided to caulk once more around the outside of the the ports.

Attachments

Thread starter #25
phew...and it didn't explode! Well done! Time for a break...like some sailing time!
LOL. Almost there. Still need to install a drain plug, and make some repairs on the sail. Then take my son to college, and then, maybe, if there is wind, I'll get to take her out.

L&VW

So leveling means spreading a bead of 4200 and let it dry, so it forms a level surface to receive the inspection port? Then add another bead to the bottom of the inspection port when installing it?
What I meant was to apply to a flexible inspection port (made in China). The better brands (Beckson, Py-Hi) would still be served by building a small platform with 4200 and squish the port on top of it. (Trimming off the excess as it oozes out).

My three catamarans (four in life-ownership) had at least four inspection ports—each, and I had to make a tool to turn the covers; which fortunately, I didn't need to access far from shore. :confused:

They're fiddly, but bolts work especially well. Since you've done both :cool: what do you recommend?

Agree. I think this is a simple project that is being over engineered! Use lots of silicone and screw it all together!
Some cases require some foresight—like my "made in China" ports—which left a gap, and can't seal against water intrusion. :mad:

(Gap above "X") :

Fullscreen capture 8102019 12842 PM.bmp.jpg

Thread starter #27
Since you've done both :cool: what do you recommend?
Since two of the self-drilling ones didn't tighten completely (i think they stripped the fiberglass), I would probably stick with the bolts next time.

Some cases require some foresight—like my "made in China" ports—which left a gap, and can't seal against water intrusion. :mad:

(Gap above "X") :

View attachment 33770
For that reason, I put a bead of 4200 around the outside of the port. Not very pretty, but it works.