RIP Skye

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
Tonight, after much soul searching, I took a circular saw to Skye - one of the extremely early fiberglass Alcort Sailfish. My health isn’t great and I can’t justify the inventory of project boats I still have. I’m keeping a few parts of her deck for posterities sake, but in addition, here are some pics/videos of her as she was cut apart. I find it very interesting to see where the foam blocks were placed, and how the mast was seated.

Hey Mama H, greetings from Minnesota!
I am not seeing your pics, please re-post when you can.
I moved a couple wooden boats and parts thereof on to the landfill and recycling this spring as well, it can be a tough call and I hope the decision is freeing for you.
I am looking to have Ghost back in the water in a couple weeks.

Tonight, after much soul searching, I took a circular saw to Skye - one of the extremely early fiberglass Alcort Sailfish. My health isn’t great and I can’t justify the inventory of project boats I still have. I’m keeping a few parts of her deck for posterities sake, but in addition, here are some pics/videos of her as she was cut apart. I find it very interesting to see where the foam blocks were placed, and how the mast was seated.
IMG_2655.jpeg
IMG_2654.jpeg

Hey Mama H, greetings from Minnesota!
I am not seeing your pics, please re-post when you can.
I moved a couple wooden boats and parts thereof on to the landfill and recycling this spring as well, it can be a tough call and I hope the decision is freeing for you.
I am looking to have Ghost back in the water in a couple weeks.

IMG_2664.jpeg
IMG_2665.jpeg
IMG_2666.jpeg
IMG_2667.jpeg
IMG_2668.jpeg
IMG_2671.jpeg
IMG_2670.jpeg
IMG_2669.jpeg
IMG_2672.jpeg
IMG_2673.jpeg
IMG_2674.jpeg
IMG_2676.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg
IMG_2682.jpeg
IMG_2681.jpeg
IMG_2680.jpeg
IMG_2683.jpeg
IMG_2686.jpeg
IMG_2687.jpeg
IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2691.jpeg
IMG_2688.jpeg
IMG_2693.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg

When I see a SUNFISH parted out, I always regret not posting that the rear deck is curved enough like the cockpit to create a great cockpit cover.

(With a little tweeking).

The SAILFISH rear deck appears to be reinforced "to the max", and not a candidate.

(Except to the real recycler, like me)...

We had to "dump" a full size hull recently, quite an experience pulling a trailer up a trash heap in Suffolk and dodging bulldozers. Won't ever do that again, it would have been better to make little pieces and dispose of those bit by bit.

Thanks for sharing the photos, an excellent resource.

Back