replacing traveler fairlead

hydroslyder

Is there anything special I need to know about replacing the traveler fairleads, or is it as simple as unscrewing the old ones and screwing the new one in the same hole.

hydroslyder said:
...is it as simple as unscrewing the old ones and screwing the new one in the same hole.
I think so. I've removed and re-installed a few of them (for refinishing), and that's all I've ever done...

You might want to check the inner hole (the one without the backing plug) to make sure the threads in the deck aren't damaged. If they look questionable, I'd consider filling the hole with thickened epoxy and re-drilling it, but that's about the most I'd do.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I ended up breaking a fairlead (in mid-tack... fun...) this past week. It was as simple as just unscrewing the broken one and putting the new one on. But there's a little gotcha: if you do this in the water beware of losing your screw cap under the gunwale! I didn't remember it was there, and when unscrewing the broken piece I lost the cap. Need to order another.

Something else to consider: I've seen anodized aluminum replacement fairleads, but they're quite a bit more expensive than plastic. Can't see one of THOSE breaking... anyone have any experience with them?

-Doug

Bischofftep said:
Something else to consider: I've seen anodized aluminum replacement fairleads, but they're quite a bit more expensive than plastic. Can't see one of THOSE breaking... anyone have any experience with them?

-Doug

The alum fairleads are standard on new boats. I put them on my old boat as well. Bullet proof. You have to run some sandpaper thru the inside of the fairlead though, to remove some casting burrs, otherwise you'll be replacing your traveller every couple of regattas....

That's true. I have them on my new boat. The only problem I've has with them is that I have my traveler on so tight I damn near ripped the starboard fairlead clear off the deck. It was just yesterday that I was washing my boat and noticed that the traveler line had managed to wedge itself underneath the fairlead itself and was tugging directly on the screw. Of course this will happen regardless of the fairlead material, but it's a good idea to check them once in a while.

Yah i replaced my old black ones with the grey plastic ones. A teammate of mine has spent 50$ CDN on magnesium ones and he claims that he can get his traveller tighter because of it. i have had no problems with the plastic

Back