Regatta Attendance

There has been quite a bit of discussion in the forum on the cost of attending the Worlds and the effect on attendance. I think there’s more to it than just the Worlds. I think the cost of attending all of the major events is keeping the attendance down. I live in Massachusetts and I attend about 10 regattas each year in the northeast, some one-day, some two-day. They cost me about $1,500 and put about 4000 miles on my car.

In addition, my wife and I went to the 2006 and 2007 Midwinter/International Masters events. The total cost, including gas, tolls, entries, and the cheap hotels was over $3,000 each year. This also puts over 3,000 additional miles on my car each year.

I considered going to the Worlds, NAs, and Masters this year. However, I’m skipping all three (last year as well). If I went to them (without wife) my costs, mileage, and cost per day of racing for the major events would be as below:

Mid-winters/Masters $3,000 3,200 miles $500 per day
Masters $1,400 3,500 miles $700 per day
North Americans $1,800 3,000 miles $450 per day
Worlds $1,700 600 miles $400 per day

These estimates are barebones but they still total $7,900 and over 10,000 miles of driving, just for the majors. The average cost is about $500 for each day of racing. I can afford it, but, sailing a Sunfish isn’t worth all the time, effort, and $500 per day of racing.

For us in the northeast, a significant part of the high cost and time required is the fact that, over the last three years, almost 80% of these regattas have been held in the south, which requires extra driving, hotels, and meals.

My purpose in writing this isn’t to complain or criticize. I just think it should be recognized that, when looking at the big picture, the time required and cost of attending the major regattas is significant. I also think that, unless something can be done to improve the situation, attendance will continue to decline.

They are not at all high. My midwinters/int. masters expenses are actual. Try and get inexpensive rooms at the midwinters. With spring training, college baseball tourneys, and tourists they are not available, period. The estimates I made for the other events are probably low. Don't forget the driving time to get there. Flying saves time, but, not money. Parking at airport, plane tickets, rental car at site, and charter fees eat up any savings for lodging.

Worlds Est:fuel/tolls $100, entry/charter fees $500, 8 days lodging at $152+tax = $1360, meals/misc $100, total=$2060. I figured maybe I could cut some corners so I put only $1700.

Masters Est:$500 fuel/tolls, 7 days lodging at $100 = $700, food/entry fee/ etc. $200, total=$1400

NAs est: fuel/tolls $450, 8 days lodging $1000, registration/food $350, total=$1800

I went through this exercise because there have been comments by others on why attendance at some of these events is disappointing. I'm just pointing out that in my case, for example, going to the masters in Texas would require 8 days and $1400 for 4 races. Who in their right mind would do it?

Back