Recommendations for Mast Displays with Boat Speed and Heel Angle for Laser Sailing

studio

Hi everyone,

I’ve been looking for a mast display that can provide real-time boat speed and heel angle measurements. I’ve seen some sailors using compact screens mounted on their Laser masts, and I’m interested in finding a reliable and affordable option. Also what would be the rules in smaller regattas about them?

From what I’ve gathered, the Velocitek ProStart and Tacktick Micro Compass by Raymarine are popular choices for their accuracy and durability. However, I’m specifically looking for models that also include heel angle measurement. Some options I’ve come across include the SailRacer BoatSpeed and Garmin GNX 20.

Does anyone have experience with these or other similar devices? What would you recommend for a Laser sailor looking for a good balance of functionality and cost? Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mounting anything like that on the mast is extremely questionable because 1) the mast rotates, which makes any displays hard/impossible to read downwind, and any heeling angle measurement meaningless, and 2) it’s illegal in more than one way.

I also have a hard time believing you’ve seen anybody have a compass on a Laser/ILCA mast, as that would be even crazier. There was someone on this forum a while back who thought it was a great idea, and probably didn’t get it when I tried to explain the absurdity of it.

Everybody mounts their compass on deck, usually between the mast and the control line cleats, or in front of the mast. Any other displays than direction and time are prohibited, and that applies to all racing. I am actually quite fed up with the regrettably common notion that ”smaller regattas” are somehow exempt from class rules. PLEASE do NOT spread it.

_

Mounting anything like that on the mast is extremely questionable because 1) the mast rotates, which makes any displays hard/impossible to read downwind, and any heeling angle measurement meaningless, and 2) it’s illegal in more than one way.

I also have a hard time believing you’ve seen anybody have a compass on a Laser/ILCA mast, as that would be even crazier. There was someone on this forum a while back who thought it was a great idea, and probably didn’t get it when I tried to explain the absurdity of it.

Everybody mounts their compass on deck, usually between the mast and the control line cleats, or in front of the mast. Any other displays than direction and time are prohibited, and that applies to all racing. I am actually quite fed up with the regrettably common notion that ”smaller regattas” are somehow exempt from class rules. PLEASE do NOT spread it.

_
I was thinking about that I would mount it on deck. I don’t plan on using it in ILCA regattas and I would mainly use it for training and for my Waszp. Do you have any recommendations on mounts?

And the part where I’ve seen it, it was mounted above the downhaul and outhaul cleats not on the mast

1721192038018.png

Back