Reasonable price for 70's sunfish w/ trailer

dougiefresh

What is a reasonable price to pay for a 70's vintage sunfish w/ trailer?

The seller claims it is in good shape with a relatively new sail (~6 years old). Trailer is galvanized.

He is trying to sell the trailer, boat and a Coleman 15' canoe all for $1200. I have no use for the canoe but wonder what to offer for the sunfish / trailer.

Thanks.

There are alot of considerations into determining a reasonable price.

First of all, I should mention that if you intend on racing, a 70's sunfish hull is almost worthless and so would a six year old sail be. That being said, if you had to go out and buy rudder, centerboard, mast, spars, and sail brand new, you would be looking at around $1000 on the parts. I would spend a little time determining that the boat was fully complete, you may find it difficult to find 70's parts (especially concerning the rudder) so if the boat were incomplete, you would end up having to spend money converting things to the newer designs.

I don't know much about trailers, but, I would guess that is probably worth a few hundred dollars at the least.

I would consider checking out ebay for comparison as well since there are usually sunfish and sunfish parts available there as well.

On Long Island, most people wouldn't charge much more than $200 for an old sunfish, since they would like to get it out of the yard. You may also want to contact a few yacht clubs to see if they may know of any boats for sale or for giveaway. About 3 years ago, I had a yacht club give me a hull for free, and I just went out and bought the rigging, etc.

Anyways, best of luck, maybe we'll see you on the race course someday.

You might also look at craigslist.org. I found my '77 sunfish last fall with a trailer for $650 in Rhode Island. I live in Connecticut. Trailer needed some work and fresh coats of poly on the rudder. Sail is in great shape. Keep looking, you might find a better deal, depending on availability in your area.
Craig

Thanks for the feedback. The guy didn't want to sell the boat & trailer by itself (without the canoe) plus the sail was a bit feathered. Will pass on this one. Outside of this forum, I have been searching craigslist and www.bargainnews.com

Back