Racing questions

Being new at this Im wondering how it works. Not that Im going that high but this is the question. In the racing end do they start at regionals then go to nationals and then worlds? How would I find out the steps details etc.
Thanks
eric

In the racing end do they start at regionals then go to nationals and then worlds? eric
Right now you only have to qualify to go to the World Championship. All the rest you just have to join the Class first (by joining your country's National Sunfish Class Association). It's a good idea to go to a more local, non-World's qualifying regatta before going to your first Regional, Continental, Age Group or World Championship, just so you see how others rig their boats, handle their boats for better speed, work with each other on the course to apply the Racing Rules of Sailing, etc. Yet, that is not required, either. The most important thing to do is to just load up the boat and the gear and go to one. And then another. And another. After that, you'll be hooked. The other sailors will be happy to share with you how stuff comes together and what all the banter and rigging stuff is about. Hopefully there's still a regatta or two left in your season wherever it is you live.
If you suffer the misfortune of making a tactical error in your first regatta or two, simply do the two required 360-degree turns (a "720"), then you're exonerated, and keep finding your way around the course. Good idea, too, to read the Racing Rules of Sailing (the international version is free on www.sailing.org, the US version comes with a membership to US Sailing or a number of enhanced versions, such as one by Dave Perry). By far most Sunfish sailors are a good lot, want to help you get up to speed, and will guide you through those first close calls on the water.

Thanks a lot for the information. Im looking forward to some fun next year.
Probably make a few more local race days this year yet. Seems like a fun thing to do and travel a bit. Good excuse for a road trip heh heh.
Thanks for advice and details
Eric mechanicsburg Pa

Give strong consideration, since you're already getting some practice by going to local regattas, to attending the North American Championship in Erie, PA next year. A short road trip as it were. A lot of races in a short time, some outstanding sailors and lots of tips and tricks to pick up on. And, some fine camaraderie as well!

I will add I learned more at my first NYS regional than I did in the previous 15 years of local Sunfish racing.

Back