Racing outside of your district

If I am part of the 18th district am I able to race outside of my district in surronding areas?

Yup. You can race just about anywhere, and you don't need to be a member of a sailing club to do so. I think that it's only at the Olympic level that you need to qualify.

Where are you, Kevin? I used to be D18 secretary. There's two regattas left in the season in the district. http://d18.laserforum.org/?Regatta_Schedule_2007 Both in Kentucky. I may make the Louisville Slugger on the Ohio River. District 19 in Michigan may have some events left too. Then, of course, it's lovely to make the February regattas in Florida.

I live in the Cleveland, Oh area. I am interested in purchasing a laser and participating in many races in the D18 and nationally. I just have a few questions on how I can get started. And, are there separate divisions for lasers and laser 2s?

I live in the Cleveland, Oh area. I am interested in purchasing a laser and participating in many races in the D18 and nationally. I just have a few questions on how I can get started. And, are there separate divisions for lasers and laser 2s?

Lasers and Laser 2s are definitely separate. You'd only see them at what they call Open regattas, where different One Design boats have their own starts.

Do you already know how to sail, Kevin? I didn't and took sailing lessons and joined a yacht club. You don't have to join a club, but it helps to find one with Lasers so you can get in some practice with other Laser sailors.

Yes I already know how to sail. I have been sailing since I have been in teh 3rd grade. I have been sailing/racing a Catalina 30 fwith my family for the past 8 years and I want to get more into individual racing. Before this I sailed and raced a sunfish and a flying scott. Which type of laser would you recommend and why?

Which type of laser would you recommend and why?

If you mean between the Laser and Laser 2, I say Laser because you are not going to find very many regattas for the Laser 2 around here, plus, of course, you need crew. If you mean between Standard, Radial or 4.7, that depends on your weight and skill level. If the wind is below 12 I sail standard (I weigh 155). If it's above, I get out my trusty radial rig. 4.7 is for kids and real lightweights and you won't find any races in the region for them either. There's more opportunities for competition with the Standard rig in the area, but you will always find a few Radial sailors when the wind pipes up.

Back