Questions: Sailing Downwind and How High the Sail

ganderson

Tropical Fish
Hi Guys

I was out today in strong winds. I sailed downwind and was surfing a lot.

Does everyone reccomend a full lifting of the center board while going downwind . ? Its easier to flip if you dont lift it?

Also a begginers question::confused: The Higher the wind, the higher boom (and sail) right? and low wind lower boom (sail) ?. How high? how low?

Guillermo

Hi Guys

I was out today in strong winds. I sailed downwind and was surfing a lot.

Does everyone reccomend a full lifting of the center board while going downwind . ? Its easier to flip if you dont lift it?

Also a begginers question::confused: The Higher the wind, the higher boom (and sail) right? and low wind lower boom (sail) ?. How high? how low?

Guillermo

Generally speaking, going downwind you want the board down far enough such that the boat feels relatively stable to you; this will depend on your level of expertise and your eagerness to go swimming. High-level racers will be on the edge of capsizing while curving downwind through the waves. And then there are the others, who want a safer ride with the board down more.

Second Question: The higher the wind, the lower the sailplan (lower heeling momentum), but you need to be able to duck under the boom without getting caught.

Not to mention you need to heel the boat so the center of effort of the sail is over the centerline of the boat. This keeps you from using the rudder to correct for the turning moment of an off centered force and reduces drag and increases speed.

Go to the Sunfish web site, click on photos, go to the 14th picture. That is what Mike is talking about. BTW: I have my board with 3" in the water. Take a Sharpie with you next time and put markings on the daggerboard where it meets the deck where ever you feel most comfortable. I have several marks on my board including a "crash gybe" mark I can slam it to so the boom doesn't hit it an pull me over. An easier solution is to make the marks on land. Tip your boat on it's side and put the board in. Make marks accordingly. (6" in the water, 12"in the water, etc...")

Back