Question for the Group (Long)

TMartoonis

OK, everyone...I need some honest opinions. Last week I wrote about some difficulty I had when sailing my '68 fish for the first time. The boat sailed well at first, then stalled upwind and would not respond to helm. It just seemed to stop sailing. When I (eventually) got back to shore, I opened the port and there was a LOT of water in the hull. I figured that was the problem, and the shifting weight of the water inside had stopped me dead.

I re-patched the hull, and rigged the replacement sail that I bought. All was in readiness, so back to the lake. Off I go on a reach, the boat responding beautifully. I thought my problems were solved. After a 10-minute downwind run, with the boat planing nicely, and me grinning ear to ear, I tacked again, with plenty of boat speed to carry me through the maneuver. The boat stalled again. It would not respond to helm at all. The sail would fill, but I went nowhere. I presumed that I had missed the leak and the boat had filled up again. There was more wind today, so I had a strenuous paddle back to the beach. This was not cool.

I got back to the beach safely and opened the port....NO WATER! Absolutely none...Evidently I had done my job well...But the question is, what the heck am I doing wrong out there? Is it my position in the boat? I was weight-amidships on the rear edge of the footwell. I run about 250 lbs...Was I too far aft? The boat seemed to handle well at first. Was it my rudder? It was down and locked. The rig? The new (used) sail performed well. I had a new low-stretch halyard and mainsheet. I can't think of a thing wrong, except I don't have a tiller extension. Was I sitting too far aft for my (somewhat considerable) weight? I couldn't move much farther forward and control the boat without the extension. I've got a bit of sailing experience, so it really isn't a newbie thing, but i have just come back to the Sunfish after several years. And several pounds, to be honest.

Please throw out some opinions here, because I really want to know how I botched this. If I was too far aft, can wind get under the hull and prevent forward movement? The boat seemed to be level in the water, and this didn't occur to me until I got home. The boat felt like it wanted to keep sailing downwind. Should I pick up a tiller extension (I forgot this week) and get my bulk farther forward?

Thanks!
Jim:confused:

Sounds like you are getting stuck in irons or in a stalled out position near close hauled. This is pretty common for sunfish sailors that are getting started. This is cureable. With or withour water in the boat, you can get going.

A basic check first.... before going out, check your gooseneck setting. The gooseneck should be about 20" back from the front end of the boom for medium winds. If not within an inch or 2 either way, adjust it. Too far forward it will add to weatherhelm and want to head the boat up.

About body location. Many sailors actually steer with body position. To head up, you let the boat heel and move weight aft (leaning on aft butt cheek). To fall off, flatten the boat and lean forward (on front butt cheek). Normal sailing position is (about) with your front leg lined up with the front edge of the cockpit. What does this mean to you????....Sounds like you are sitting back in the boat which will promote heading up (into irons) or enough to stall the boat. Get your tiller extension on and move up forward in the boat.

After pondering the above, try this: Instead of going from a reach to reach tack, head up slowly, sail on one tack close hauled, then tack the boat onto the opposite close hauled course. This way you are turning the boat less and not having that barn door (water-brake) rudder cranked over for so long. If possible, pick a spot where you have flatter water so the waves don't pound you to a stop. And you have to move to the other side (complete the tack) quickly. Turn the rudder agressively and get across. Going slow, you will pound some waves and stop moving, the sail will be luffing slowing you down, etc.

Next try this: If you cant get it going, sheet in very very slowly and repeatedly scull the tiller hard from the center of the hull to the windward side, thus forcing the boat to fall off. Don't let the boat heel when you are doing this or it will want to head up again. Once the boat gets going, it will steer just fine. It's the transition during your tack that is slow and that is when the rudder stalls.

You could always try to gybe.

Don't give up. At 250, you own this boat in terms of its ability to fight against you. Show it whose the boss!!

Good luck.

Jim,
I completely agree with Tim. I had simmilar trouble when I was starting. I think that you just got stuck in Irons, or dead into the wind. If you find yourself in irons, you should slowly begin to move backwards. you can thus steer the boat by reversing steerage, or the way that you would normally push the tiller. I can't drive yet, but I would compare it to moving backwards in a car, you turn the steering wheel the opposite way. You should also push the boom over the centerline over the boat. This will fill the sail, and help to steer you out of irons in seconds.

Another thing is to overshoot the tack when you first start and dont switch sides too early, If you do, you ar more than likely to stall and get into irons.

I thought I was out of irons...I had come around to the port tack and was trying to fill the sail and gather steerageway. I guess not. The boat did move backwards/sideways a bit (always amusing), so there's no arguing it. Maybe part of my problem was I expected the boat to point higher than it was willing to. The wind was puffy today, and was veering either side of northwest, only adding to the entertainment. I think I need to calculate my tacks a bit better! That, and get a tiller extension asap and get my rear end forward.

I did notice that my gooseneck is very loose on the boom, sliding back and forth. I have another one on the way. I can't adjust this one because the screw is too corroded. Contributing factor?

TM,

I also agree with Tim and Niko. And get the extension. When backing up, point the rudder (not the tiller) in the direction you want the stern to move and be patient. It will take a few moments to happen and then let it continue until the bow falls off and let it keep going a little further. Center the rudder and start sheeting in. You will soon start to move forward and can begin to get back on course.

Your gooseneck can be contributing to your problem. With an adjustable gooseneck, racers move the GN forward in light air and back in stronger winds (14" to 24" is the normal range).

You may try drilling out the old screw and getting an adjustable lever from a place like Masthead. I use tape (white electrical tape) under the gooseneck at marked positions.

Hope the suggestions help. Good Luck

Back