Pro spars vs recreactional

Goodafternoon, I am new to site in October. I have spent the last couple weeks reading thru past discussions and have had a lot of questions answered. I started sailing the Sunfish in 2005 after sailing Snipes for years. I have learned that a 180 pound man sailing a 130 pound boat is more challenging than it appears, and the leval of ability / experience in this class is unmatched. I came to this realization while being at the back of the fleet in the 3 regatta's I attended this past summer. But I had so much fun, the competitors and the clubs hosting the events were so great that is just did not matter.
I currently have a set of spars that are original to my 1972 Sunfish. I have upgraded to the racing sail and have added outhaul and cunningham. Because of damage to my current set of spars
( backing over them with a truck ) I need to get a new set. The only difference I can determine between the recreational and the pro spars is the placement of the boom blocks and the addition of the cleats. Am i correct in my assumption that this is the only difference or is there any difference in the structural integrity of the spar. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mitch,

You are correct in your assessment. There is no difference in the tubing. The pro boom has the cleats. Not sure about if they moved the forward block. I want to say they decided to leave it where it was.

Drive carefully!

Back