Outhaul question

altair

Is it possible to set up the outhaul with a purchase system without taking the tail around the mast or gooseneck? Is so, would someone please describe how to set it up. Thanks.

You are saying like photo #1 and not photo #2 ?

Attachments

• SFOHD.jpg
    SFOHD.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Haul-1.jpg
    Haul-1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 79
I wish I took a picture of my "secret" 3 purchase outhaul...LOL

It takes a 236 Harken clam cleat which has a roller nose. you mount it with the roller facing towrad the rear of the spar and use the roller like the gooseneck in the second picture so nothing goes foward of the cleat.

The 3 purchase in the first picture tends to get really hard to pull and occassionally binds up when you try to release or adjust it.

3.5.6 A total of two lines and two cleats may be installed on the spars to facilitate adjustment of tension on foot and luff of the sail. Only one adjustable outhaul/inhaul is allowed for each spar. Lines may not be led internally in the spars. Any number of purchases may be used. These adjustable outhauls may be led through flexible fairleads, attached to the spars without hardware. It is permissible to use a thimble, or similar device without moving parts, tied into the purchase loops to prevent chafing of adjustable outhauls. This device shall not be attached to the boom.

Back