Optimal Inspection Port Placement?

LQT420

Hi,

I've got yet another mast step repair question... What is the optimal deck port placement to perform a mast step repair? How many inches from the tube? I'd like to use two ports, one for each side so that I can view the repair from either side to make sure that the repair is solid from both sides. Should I put them directly on either side, toward the bow or toward the cockpit? I really want to be sure as I don't want to compromise the rigidity of the deck in that particularly high stress area. I plan on using 5" deck plates because I have a 5.5" hole saw. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

- Leon

I repaired my '82 mast step due to leaking. I put a 6" port about a foot ahead of the mast step. It is ugly but not as ugly as two. Your instincts are right though, doing a clean fiberglassing job thru one port was hard and the final product was far from professional looking. But it has held in some very strong winds and is dry. I'd worry that a port on either side of the step would hurt deck rigidity, but I don't know anything factual about it. One hint, when you get the port installed, put a flashlight down the step and, looking thru the port into the dark hull, you can see all the spots in the tube where there has been wear. Good luck.

I was also planning at least one inspection port this winter.

first, do you think there is more stress on the deck say, 1/2 way between the board and the mast offset to one side?

OR I saw one dude cut into the cockpit on the angular part next to the board?

OR can I put to in on the deck P&S?

also there is lots of talk about 4 and 5 inch ports here. I was thinking at least 6inch if not 7 or even 8 cause you cant get your arm in.

Ive also heard the some ports today are made with a container so you can use them like a glove box to carry stuff like snacks or your 1973 road map and a flash light in case you get lost.

best, M/

Back