Old sunfish hull questions

FORCAST

rigger
I have an old sunfish just aquired from my cousin. It does not have any serial number on its backside. It has some mold / build-up beneath the waterline due to being stored outdoors for a couple years. I have to repair some of the hull with fiberglass. After fiberglassing , I am planning on sanding down and give it a new paint job. I need some suggestions on the types of primer and paint I should use. I heard Interlux is the buisness? Attached is an idea for the paint job. Any comments?

Attachments

• FORCAST.jpg
    FORCAST.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 73
In terms of paint, the best, most durable marine paint is a two part linear urethane paint like Awlgrip or Interlux Perfection. However they are quite expensive and very toxic. If you go with one of these be sure you are in a well ventilated place with a proper respirator, eye protection, gloves, etc.

But even before you look at topcoats, make sure you do a good job of prepping the hull and using a quality epoxy primer prior to painting. Good painting results are 90% prep work done beforehand.

The thread below is a good discussion about paint recommendations.

http://sunfishforum.org/showthread.php?t=460&highlight=awlgrip

Hope this helps and good luck!

I've had great luck with a 2-part acrylic urethane paint called Signature Finish (http://www.signaturefinish.com/). It's very forgiving, easy to apply, and all coats can be applied in 2 days (one if the existing gelcoat doesn't need to be sealed). I've applied it many times by roller and the results look great--no respirator, etc. needed. Acrylic polyurethanes aren't as tough as polyester polyurethanes (like Awlgrip) but they're MUCH easier to apply and still produce a glossy, long-lived finish.

ALSO: Signature also makes a clear finish called "Honey Teak". My neighbor's had some on his boat here in the Florida sun for almost two years and it looks practically as good as new. I'm going to try it next weekend on the rudder and daggerboard of my old sunfish. Like the paint, a big advantage is that all coats can be applied quickly (without sanding between) so I'm figuring to get 7 coats on in two days, which should last many years.

Back