Old Style Bailer Plug Size

HookEm

I recently purchased a 1970 Sunfish in very good condition except that it is missing the brass/bronze plug for the bailer. I have been unable to locate a replacement plug but saw on a thread that a plastic plug from a hardware or a farm supply store would work. I hate to spend $40 and the time and effort to upgrade to the current bailer. Does anyone know what size threads are used on the old style plug (cap)?

Using plastic PVC plugs from the hardware store is appears to be slightly larger than 1/2". Maybe .625"?

Most folks simply get a rubber stopper that fits the hole and sucure it to a length of string and attach the string to the body of the bailer.

The size is 7/8" x 14 tpi straight (not tapered) about 3/4" long from under the cap. I posted more info at Sunfish Sailor on Yahoo

Since I was unable to find a threaded stopper I tried a synthetic cork from a 1.5 liter wine bottle (I think it was Australian) and it fit perfectly. It was snug, long enough to get a good grip and being synthetic is stronger than natural cork. When I mentioned this to friends, I got several donations. I don't drink much wine, so I don't know if the regular 750 ml bottle corks work.

I tried a synthetic cork from a 1.5 liter wine bottle (I think it was Australian) and it fit perfectly.

Any chance you would share that label information and maybe a photo in case that vintage is sold out and we need to look for another winery?

Back