Old AMF Sunfish - screws in hull?

fishsunbf

I just pciked up an old AMF Sunfish (1965ish). I notice there are 2 screws on the hull, each located 2-3 inches from the ends of the coaming. What is their purpose? Are these drain plugs? I don't see any others.

Thanks

Fish,

If they look like the photo, yes they are. If you acn determine the exact age or have the serial number, I would be interested in the info. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0234a.jpg
    IMG_0234a.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0235a.jpg
    IMG_0235a.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 40
Yup! That's them - Thanks for the quick reply.

Is drain plug a bit of a misnomer? I understand they can be used to find a leak by forcing air into one of them and seeing if escapes at another location. However, they don't really act as "drains", correct?

Not with the boat sitting on a trailer. Th SF has to be on its side horizontally and leaning against a tree or something so that one "drain" is down, the other up. Open both so one lets air in, the other any water out. They are not very effective, so many people install inspection ports on older boats. The ports are normally installed: One 6" port behind the splash rail, the other a 5" in the stern (exact location depends on which rudder system you have). See Wind Line Sails or Yahoo's Sunfish Sailer for more info on installing ports, drying out a SF, leak testing and loads of other info.

When checking for leaks, only a couple of pounds of air pressure are needed, any more and you could damage the hull.

Back