Not so excellent adventure

We had a somewhat epic experience at the Wed night races at North Flathead YC in NW Montana. We managed to NOT be in the tornado, nor were we out in the 70 mph gale that blew everything to pieces. Yike!

It was nuts - I've never seen anything like it.

We arrived later afternoon, had a sandwich on the dock, then rigged up and putzed around in the bay right next to the club. My son, who had never sailed, did well, and had a great time.

Got pretty dark, with big thunderheads boiling over the mountains. Some lightning started flashing around us, so we zipped in and started taking everything down. Races canceled. Radio reports of a tornado (in Montana?) and extreme conditions at the other end of the lake 30 miles away, coming our way.

A rough-looking bunch with a beater Hobie Cat came in to get off the lake, and carried it up to the grass to wait it out. We had the Laser masts down when a huge wind started up, branches started breaking, and I heard a huge noise behind me. The Hobie had lifted off the ground, flown across the ramp, flipped over in the air, hit the top of an Opti storage shed and taken half the roof off as it flew over. Ended up upside down in the marsh. We laid in the grass holding the trailers down and trying to keep things from blowing away. Pouring rain and lightning everywhere. People started running for cover. You could hardly see the grass for all the broken tree branches.

Then the lake started coming up, like a storm surge in a hurricane. First the dock, then the ramp, then the parking lot were under water. It was getting creepy. Couldn't hear with the howling wind.

We managed to weigh the big stuff down or clamp it under a boat hull and head for the building, where we could stand behind a wall and watch the marina from a deck. The horizon was completely gone. Big curling waves started coming over the bulkheads, hitting the big boats. Old piling timbers and debris began hitting the docks like battering rams. 4 or 5 jibs ripped to shreds on big boats. The major bulkhead dock then split in half, with timbers shattering and bolts ripping out of beams. The brand new steel piling was flopping around loose. An owner and some brave volunteers managed to move a few boats before it came apart completely. They cut the power to the piers as the conduits were about to separate. The cell towers blew down and no one could call. There was a big accident on the highway across the bay, with fire trucks and ambulances.

After an hour or more it died down some and we helped recover a few things, then got the Lasers tied down and were about the head out. Another round of lightning and pounding rain. The thunder crack was directly overhead and immediate and would knock you to your knees.

A guy asked if he could use our phone as he had to reach some people. We asked if he had been there at the club when it hit. No, he said, he'd been swimming for 2 hours out in the lake after his boat sank! He went out into open water to try and ride it out. Somehow a Sheriff boat found the crew in the open water and brought them in. It was a 30' keelboat.

Big adventure, new respect for storms.

Wow, Mike. Bummer. Sounds like plague of locusts sort of thing. Is this another sampling of global warming? I've been through a number of storms with that kind of power in Ohio, but we are on the edge of tornado alley and get some of those every year in the region.

I'm glad and your son weathered it OK. How's your Laser?

It was pretty exciting. The weather comes out of nowhere. Lots of adrenaline flowing. We don't have any experience with tornados and hurricanes, so it gave us a tiny glimpse of what people in places like Florida and S Carolina have been through. It was very directional and just roared.

Boat's good, thanks - nothing landed on it, and I strapped it to the trailer and held it down through the worst. When I went to hook it to the car, it was quite heavy, and I found the cockpit half full of rain water.

We laid the other one on the ground deck down and it stayed put. Many of the dinghys in the park were sideways off their trailers. We lost one life jacket and some battens.

Re: weather

"A tornado touched down northwest of Polson Wednesday night, part of a large storm that brought lightning, damaging winds, hail, rain and flash flood warnings from the Swan Valley to Libby, the National Weather Service said. An estimated 4 inches of rain fell in 30 minutes."

"A harried Lake County dispatcher summed it up: "We've got roofs down, barns down, power lines on the road, people in the lake - you name it, we've got it going on right now."

"This is the most impressive storm I've seen since I've worked here in seven years," said Bob Nester, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Missoula.

"The National Weather Service in Missoula sent several meteorologists to the area Thursday for damage assessments, said Nester.

"Estimates are easily (that there were) 70- to 80-mile-an-hour winds," said Nester, adding there had been no tornadoes in the area during his seven years at the Missoula office.

Western Montana's unusually hot weather in recent days "contributed to the amount of energy in the storm," he said."

Re: More vang??

Now the weather service is saying a waterspout touched down on the lake between Woods Bay and Rollins Bay, spun the 26' (not 30') boat around several times, threw the people off, swamped it, and sank it.

And here I was bummed that I had to take my son back in so soon on his first solo.

That's some wicked weather, and unlike a hurricane it pops up with little or no warning. Been dodging stuff like that all summer; no wind at all then 30-40 in the huge T-storm bearing down on you at the end of the day. Glad you weren't hurt, and I hope your son still wants to go Lasering.

Nice thing about Lasers; they are pretty indestructable. Know someone whose Laser flew through the air for dozens of feet during Hurricane Charley-it was fine. And all the Lasers left at my club during Hurricane Wilma were fine when they were pulled off the back fence after they went for a ride in a 5' storm surge.

MasterMike, sounds like a wicked afternoon on the lake. We used to run into similar weatherr when sailing on Dillon in Colorado. Glad you got off the lake in time and were able to keep the boats and youselves safe..

Bozeman sailer who wishes he lived in the Flathead during the summer..

Hey, I grew up sailing little tubs at Dillon! COLD!

Another D22 sailor! Great! Can you make it up to Somers Aug 18-19? It would be great to meet some new faces, and get some Masters back into it.

I might.. We were talking about taking a round the state camping and what ever trip right before school starts, what are the specifics..

On the Dillon front, my Dad started the Ensign Class on the Lake when we moved back to CO from MN.. The Laser was for my older brother, bought in 73. Me and then my little bro used it extensively when we moved back to MN in my early teens.. I've got it up here now, taken the girls out on it a few times this summer... The Gallatin Valley really needs a good Lake....

Back