Newbie - Question

navystandard

Good Morning

I am in the process of purchasing a Laser and had a question of how difficult it is to remove and carry the hull from a car top for about 25 yards, by myself. I am reasonably fit for 44, 6' 190 lbs. Thanks in advance!

Mike
(Michiana Area)

Good Morning

I am in the process of purchasing a Laser and had a question of how difficult it is to remove and carry the hull from a car top for about 25 yards, by myself. I am reasonably fit for 44, 6' 190 lbs. Thanks in advance!

Mike
(Michiana Area)

It weighs 130 pounds, if that helps to answer your question. Most men probably couldn't do it, I think. People devise systems to get the boat off and then put it on a dolly. There's one guy at my club who carries and drags the boat, but it's a very old boat. You wouldn't want to do that with anything that is still shiny.

If you carry the boat for 25 yards, I'm guessing you wouldn't be very interested in going sailing anymore for that day.

My system: 'free beer for anyone who helps me get this b*****d off the roof' usually provides you with enough willing volunteers.

Yes I agree totally..always find someone to help..never try on your own as you risk damaging yourself, the boat and the car/ vehicle it is on... I have to car top my daughters Topper and I always ask for help...Passers by walking thier dog, neighbours, friends, club members etc.

Once I was stuck for someone to help and she assisted me, Toppers may be lighter than a Laser, but are just as ungainly to carry on your own... we got it off the roof rack..just, and I carried it on my own into the yard. I decide never to do this again!!.

Always remember to ask the person that is gonna help if they are ok to lift, fit, healthy and happy in lifting your boat with you...never summise...you don't want to be sued and they will drop your boat too if they can't cope with the wieght/ keel over!!! (no pun);)

Hello -

Welcome to the world of Car Topping ;-)

9 times out of 10 someone will help if you ask. However, that does not solve the cases where you want to go off a beach and there is no one around.

There are numerous threads about building your own or buying a dolly. It is well worth it. More of a trick is getting the boat off the car. There are threads about that as well. I just came up with a system to get my laser on and off my car on my own - and onto a dolly. I have seen one guy carry it by the hiking strap and chuck it in the water but only once. I tried this and I ended up dropping the boat. Luckily it was on sand so I didn't do that much damage.

If you're interested I can post some pics of the system I have. I will be using it tomorrow evening - Yippeeee.

I'd like to see that system...may help with the Topper..when i'm towing the Laser...looking forward to your photos...:cool:

Thanks for all of the advice. I'd like to see the pictures also! How or why did my post move? Did I post in the wrong place originally? Where do you get FREE BEER?

Mike

I guess you could set up some 2x4's as a ramp off the back of your car onto a dolly and slide the boat down those, lowering it with a rope tied to the boat from the front of your car. That might work.

Sorry - lack of wind so did not put the boat on the car today. Will do it next week.

Sailing only one day a week - GASP>

Matt

Back