New Sunfish Owner - Day 1 Novice

jayhawk

Hi! I'm brand new (as of yesterday) to owning a Sunfish. I have inhereted an old Minifish. All of the parts are there and the only thing I'd like to do to it is repaint it. Right now it's white. The gentleman who gave it to me didn't know the exact year it was made, but estimated the 70's.

Here's my problem. I've read through the posts last night, but I don't know the jargon. Is there a good glossary out there for beginners? Also, I've tried to search the FAQ, but no matter what I put in it tells me no matches. Is there an index to the FAQ that a new user can just browse? I'm so new to this, the only words I know are starboard, port, bow, and stern. I know the difference between the hull and mast, but that's about all the terms I have a good command over.

So my two questions are:
Where do I start for painting? Again, I tried to search the FAQ as suggested before, but to no avail. The boat will not be stored in the water and will be used in freshwater.

Where do I start for knowledge? Are there any Sunfish books that are any good? I tried to read the posts, but the jargon is killing me.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm excited to make my boat mine and will be doing research all day.
~Michelle

Welcome!

Regarding your searches, I inserted "paint" (no quotation marks) in the Search box and got a lot of useful info from older threads. Therefore, try that.

Second, why do you want to paint your Minifish? It requires a fair amount of work and does absolutely nothing for your sailing pleasure. In fact, it will greatly delay you getting on the water.

PS: it's much more important to see if your boat leaks....

You've started with a very basic boat, so there's only a few more words to learn. It gets more complicated when racing, so forget about the recent "hexaratchet" and other "tech" talk.

A) Paint:

Chances are, the boat just needs a good scrubbing.

I spent a weekend painting another of my sailboats. :(

The instructions said "don't leave immersed in water more than 2 to 3 hours", so I didn't. The paint blistered—first in small blisters—then very large ones. After sanding for hours, two quarts of paint later, at $20 a quart, and afternoons wasted, I shouldn't have bothered. One thing you shouldn't do to a boat—especially a sailboat—is to make it slower with an amateur paint job.

B) Terms:
1) Halyard (derived in part from "haul") is the line used to "haul-up" the sail, running roughly parallel to the mast. It is secured at the "cleat", just like awnings and venetian blinds are. (And needs to be hauled in quite tightly before securing).
2) Spars are the two long aluminum tubes between which the sail is stretched. (A term directly from the "tall-ships" era, when "spar" varnish was used to seal the long horizontal wooden spars holding the sails).

The ropes on small boats are referred to as "lines". The line to the lower spar (the boom) is referred to as the mainsheet.

I don't know why you have trouble "learning the ropes"—it all makes sense to me! :D :p

Oh yes...the tiller—pretty complicated item—'think I'll let someone else elaborate on that! :confused:

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm really excited to learn how to sail!

I literally have only had it since Friday night, so I haven't had time to learn much, but I've spent a lot of time on the internet giving it a try.

My first priority is to learn how to properly sail it, but I'm having a hard time finding someone to teach me since I live in central Colorado, where lakes are few and skiiers are many. I'll be visiting some of them to see if any Sunfish are out there and just start talking to people. I'm also going to go to the large chain bookstores to see what books they have.

We'll be checking for leaks before we do anything. The man who gave it to me has had it sitting outside of his Colorado mountain cabin for a while, so I'm assuming it's sat through quite a few blizzards, making leaks an overwhelming reality. It's also extremely oxidized, since the UV exposure in the mountains is incredibly high. The boat is white with no other striping or colors except for faux woodgrain decals on what I believe is called the "coaming". The decals are flaking pretty badly. I gave the boat a good scrubbing and even a very light touch with 400 grit on a hidden spot and it didn't help at all. Painting will eventually be needed. But I do intend to sail first. I won't paint until fall. When I do paint, we have a friend who used to spray fiberglass in his shop, so he has all of the equipment and safety know-how, so that will make it a lot easier.

I can't place the year on it because the serial number is no longer there. All I know is that it's an AMF Alcort Minifish.

The sail is from a different small boat - I forgot which. The mast is wooden. The sail doesn't raise with rings - it's attached to the wooden mast by way of a sheath in the sail's tall side. So the only line the boat has is the mainsheet. Is this acceptable or will I need to get a Sunfish sail?

I appreciate everyone's help. I'm very excited but a little overwhelmed.

"...I'll be visiting some of them to see if any Sunfish are out there and just start talking to people..."

The basics are the same, so you could crew on any sailboat—not just a Sunfish—to learn. Sunfish have a few foibles to pick up, but it's all good.

"...The sail is from a different small boat - I forgot which. The mast is wooden. The sail doesn't raise with rings - it's attached to the wooden mast by way of a sheath in the sail's tall side. So the only line the boat has is the mainsheet. Is this acceptable or will I need to get a Sunfish sail...?"
It sounds like it would work OK, but the readers here are crying for a photograph! Is the sail coated with something to make it firm? (Very unlike a cotton sheet).

What does the symbol on the sail look like? Like this?
lasersign.gif

BTW: Weekends are usually slow on forums: expect more responses from others tomorrow—from work. :D

Hi michelle, Two sources that have helped me are the very simple and basic guide called "start sailing right" put out by the american red cross and the us yact racing union, which has a wealth of the kind of information you need, and the rigging guide available from vangaurd as a pdf. Good luck, Mark

The sailing canoe can also have sleeved sails. There where 2 at the Sam Meyers Memorial Regatta this weekend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SailingCanoe.jpg
Talk about the slow boat to China.
Hey-y-y-y...

I was inspired to take my own sailing canoe to China. This was after an adventurous Californian canoeist sailed across the Pacific in the 50s. His main problem wasn't sailing the canoe: it was hallucinations. :eek:

He had two Gunter-rigged sails on his canoe, as I recall. (A Gunter is a clever combination of lateen-Sunfish-style, gaff-rig, and sloop-rig—handy where bridges are plentiful). Alas, there's nothing on the Internet that I can find about that trip.

Anyway, here's me bending the spars on my sailing canoe in 1961. (Yeah, I know, "That's before I was born". 'Heard it too many times lately). ;)
Bobwithgraduationpresentcanoe1960.jpg

Now back to the thread—sorry about the off-topic segue. :(

I have a bunch of pictures taken after the first cleaning. I can post some general ones and I can take any close ups anyone is interested in that I didn't think of. On the last picture, note the hole that looks like it used to have hardware in it. Also note on the far left the faux wooden decals.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 77
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 80
  • rudder.jpg
    rudder.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 62
  • bailer1.jpg
    bailer1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 68
  • bailer2.jpg
    bailer2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 63
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 58
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 65
  • hull.jpg
    hull.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 72
I'm also worried that the bailer is missing something, but when I washed the boat, the water in the cockpit didn't drain out, so I dunno.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm assuming I can install an inspection port no problem. Is that correct? I would love to have one or two. Sorry about the duplicate posts. I'm just so excited!

Again, thanks for your help, folks. I've learned a lot in the two days I've been here!

Is there a good glossary out there for beginners?
You might find a book on basic small boat sailing like Bob Bond's, “Handbook of Sailing”, ISBN: 0679740635 more helpful at this juncture in your sailing career. It will give you all the terminology as well as the fundamentals of skippering your boat.

Where do I start for painting?
It doesn’t appear the hull needs painting, just a good cleaning up. The gelcoat cosmetic finish of fiberglass is tougher than any paint.

My first priority is to learn how to properly sail it …
You didn’t say exactly where you are, but I assume Summit or Eagle County. Unfortunately, you are correct, lessons are probably more available on the Front Range. You may find instruction at Dillon, but it will most likely be taught on a large boat. Nonetheless, if that’s what you choose the general sailing skills will still apply to your day sailor.

I also assume you will be traveling to Steamboat, Catamount, Granby, Dillon, Blue Mesa, McPhee, Twin Lakes, Ruedi, Navajo, and other lakes within a day’s drive of the central corridor. Just a word of caution, many of these mountain lakes are cold all summer so you might be wise to have a farmer john wet suit along. Just treat them as you would running the rivers in the same vicinity.

When I do paint, we have a friend who used to spray fiberglass
A fresh coat of gelcoat is quite a different thing. That will give your hull a nearly new look and will last for many years. It’s nice to have friends in that business when you own a boat.

I can't place the year…
Minifish were introduced about ’71 and the federal Hull ID system came about for ’73 models so if you don’t have an ID branded into the right rear of the hull at least you can figure it’s probably a ’71 or ’72.

The sail is from a different small boat -
Looks like that’s a “Sabot” sail logo. I can’t say about the wood mast and boom. Maybe from a really old Sabot. If it makes the boat go then what the hey, you’re sailing. You can upgrade as you please.

I'm also worried that the bailer is missing something
Seems to be only half there with the half that is there glued to the bottom with caulk. You can order a replacement and it will work as well as it should.

I'm assuming I can install an inspection port
Sure, but what are you inspecting, if I may ask?

Wayne

I thought inspection ports assisted with draining water from the hull. I'm going to assume right now this boat - after being through 15 mountain winters outside, especially this last one - is going to leak. I also like the idea of having a bag to keys, etc. I know I could tether one, but eh, it's only $30 or so for a port and a bag. But I was wondering why they call them inspection ports. This is how new I am. Anyway, my husband has a shop and it would take 2 minutes to install one. I don't know what's inside the hull.

When I barely touched the hull with sandpaper, it made the sandpaper white. I'm not sure there's a gelcoat on this anymore, that or I just can't identify a gelcoat when I see one. It looks ok in pictures, but in real life it's very scratched, dinged, chipped, hairline cracked, and very dull. No amount of scrubbing made it look any better. I'm sure it's functional, but I would also like it to look decent if I can help it and it's not that much trouble.

I live in Colorado Springs (I guess that's not really central), so even on the front range I'm coming up dry on finding a place to go for advice, but like I said I've only had the boat for a few days and haven't made it to all of the reservoirs around here. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on lessons or join a yacht club. I just want to sail my little boat. We're military, so we won't even be here for more than 2 more years.

There are tons of good rubbing compounds with your husband's electric auto waxer buffer will polish up the gel (that's the white stuff on your sandpaper). Then you will want to coat it with a marine teflon wax, except for where you sit (or wax it and then go over where you sit with acetone to take most of it off, you don't want to be slipping out of the boat!).

Gel coat is a protective layer sprayed to coat the fiberglass/resin that is the hull structure. It protects it from UV's.

For day sailing you need not worry about the scratches at all. Spider cracks are likely not a problem either. You do have a leak source, however, so perform the air pressure test with soap bubbles to find where the boat is leaking (see sunfish_sailor on Yahoo Groups page, you'll have to establish an account to join and access the group but you can make everything up if you want).

I'm going to assume right now this boat - is going to leak .… I also like the idea of having a bag to keys, etc.
Better, as Gail pointed out, to do a leak test and fix any leaks. And, sure, storage is a valid reason for a port too. Look up Wind Line Sails, How To Guides, on the internet for general instructions.

I was wondering why they call them inspection ports
Normally they are installed where no access exists so you can inspect for or repair damage.

I don't know what's inside the hull
Mostly air and some Styrofoam blocks in nearly the exact same locations as the Sunfish has. (there’s a diagram and photos of these at the web site Gail recommended – along with a Minifish setup manual and a leak test guide)

I'm not sure there's a gelcoat on this anymore
Gelcoat is essentially colored fiberglass resin without the glass fiber reinforcement. It’s the first layer sprayed on a boat mold and compared to paint is very thick 1/16” or more. If you see white you are seeing gelcoat. The rest of the hull beneath the gelcoat is a yellowish or greenish resin with fibers going every-which-way looking something like lots of straw in lemon jell-o, only rock hard. When the gelcoat is really gone, that’s what you’ll see..

Scrub the whole hull with Ajax cleanser – twice maybe, rinse and buff really well with automotive rubbing compound, then wax. Then you’ll know what you’ve got.

I'm coming up dry on finding a place to go for advice
This forum is probably it. The nearest Sunfish dealer is in Kansas and the best small boat shop is The Anchorage in Lyons, CO (I-25 north to CO 66, west to Boulder County 36 – right at the intersection).

I've only had the boat for a few days and haven't made it to all of the reservoirs around here
Within an hour you have Pueblo Reservoir, Aurora Reservoir, and Cherry Creek Reservoir. And check out C-Spgs. City Park Lake. If you can’t sail your boat there, they might still rent Sunfish by the hour. Look for a sailing club and classes at all these places too. SCSC (Southern Colo. State College) has a sailing club at Pueblo Res. Maybe they give lessons.

Wayne

Sounds good, guys. I'll go buy some compound and wax today, and skip the painting for a while. Or maybe I'll just do a couple of stripes instead of painting the whole thing - but regardless, it won't be until fall when the water's too cold to be in (too cold for me, anyway). It's cloudy today, so it'll be a good day to scrub.

I'm assuming the small hole with the bolt in it (near the cockpit) is the drainage hole where I can put the air compressor for the leak test. Other than that very small hole, there is no other access to inside the hull.

Yes, there should be a screw hole on the deck. Be careful with how much pressure you pump in. A large shop vac is too powerful and will blow the deck and hull off of the styrofoam. See some of the suggestions on sunfish_sailor on Yahoo Groups (establish an account, use a junk email account you create in Yahoo if you're worried about that kind of stuff. I have not had a problem, however.)

Back