New Sail

acs026

Is there anything specific you need to do with a new sail, as far as breaking it in or anything? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks

* Wash it with fresh water after use.

* Dry the sail

* Lay the spars together.

* Roll up the sail alongside the spars.

* Store the whole rig in a sail bag indoors.

Is there anything specific you need to do with a new sail, as far as breaking it in or anything? Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks

The usual recommendation is to break the sail in gently. Use the sail in light winds a few times, nothing over 15 mph. And if you have mounted control lines, keep those loose.

Thanks wavedancer....that was more of the type of response I was looking for :) It is funny to me enough cause I am going from an original 70s something sail to a new one. So I am looking forward to it. Just wanted to make sure to start off with it the right way.

The usual recommendation is to break the sail in gently. Use the sail in light winds a few times, nothing over 15 mph. And if you have mounted control lines, keep those loose.

As long as he doesn't over-tighten it, I don't see why he can't take it out in higher winds.

At the next LP open house and clinic, this would be a good question for the North Sails rep.

The thing I see most often is outhauls pulled too tight. You may have been doing this to eek out the last bit of shape from your old sail. Just remember you are back at the start point so don't follow recent habit when rigging the new sail.

Unfortunately, the LP setup guide only provides this nebulous bit of wisdom ... "The outhaul line should be fairly snug".

Snug, by my definition would make the body of a hoist sail smooth (no ripples radiating out from the tack) when filled with a little wind, but leave slight scallops between the sail clips. If the foot and luff seams are taught straight the outhauls are probably over tight.

Thanks Wayne for expanding on what I should have written regarding the control lines.

Better be safe than sorry with an expensive new sail, especially if you want to race.

Back