Media New Pass, Sarasota, FL in June with sunburn

Merrily

Administrator
This is where I had trouble gripping the sheet. Since then I've added some vang and learned to use my thigh as a brake. Any other constructive criticism is welcome.

Merrily

Attachments

• New-Pass-1.jpg
    New-Pass-1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 84
  • New-Pass-2.jpg
    New-Pass-2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 75
  • New-Pass-3.jpg
    New-Pass-3.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 81
  • New-Pass-4.jpg
    New-Pass-4.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 59
  • New-Pass-5.jpg
    New-Pass-5.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 82
Trav line needs to be tight. That will help get the mainsheet blocks right down to the end of the trav, getting the boom out a little more, all which will help you sail the boat flatter.

If you are hiking hard (the two pics on the bottom row), you should be two blocked, vang snug and some cunningham if you have too much helm.

Good luck

your using too much rudder in the top middel pic, its only slowing you down, to make the boat turn in that situation let out some sheet,
its a loverly looking boat btw

If you want to improve your strength, go to your local gym. Sit on a rowing machine, legs straight, and pull one handed. Swap hands. Continue for 5 mins. Jump on a bike machine. Ride for 20 mins. Then repeat on the rower.

It will really build up your upper body endurance and your aerobic fitness. It's winter here now, so I have replaced sailing with more gym work. I have never trained for sailing before, so it will be interesting to see if I'm sailing faster next season.

Looks like you got yourself a nice boat and a lovely body of water to sail on there!

rock steady said:
If you want to improve your strength, go to your local gym. Sit on a rowing machine, legs straight, and pull one handed. Swap hands. Continue for 5 mins. Jump on a bike machine. Ride for 20 mins. Then repeat on the rower.

It will really build up your upper body endurance and your aerobic fitness. It's winter here now, so I have replaced sailing with more gym work. I have never trained for sailing before, so it will be interesting to see if I'm sailing faster next season.

Looks like you got yourself a nice boat and a lovely body of water to sail on there!

It is a lovely body of water--that I was just visiting. One handed rowing sounds like a great idea for building endurance for sailing, but are you trying to kill me? ;)

Merrily

Instead of having to go to a gym to do one armed rows, you can do something similar at home. Bent over and standing rows with a bar or bent over single arm dumbell pulls are awesome. They increase shoulder and back strength. You can use the amount of weight that you are most comfortable with; start light and work up until you find a weight that is comfortable, not so easy you can throw the weights around but not so heavy that doing three sets of 10-15 reps is impossible. You can hold the rep as long as you want/can to simulate holding the main sheet tight. If you do the dumbell rows, be sure to keep your arm close to your body and don't let your elbow splay out; that way you concentrate the work from your back and not your shoulder joint. Using a combo of standing and bent over rows with a bar will exercise the full range of shoulder and back muscles used for pulling the mainsheet and vang. The advantages of doing these at home are 1)you have more money to spend on Laser gadgets and beer/gatorade at the club, 2)you don't have to spend extra time travelling to a gym, and 3)you can wear whatever you want and do them whenever you want.

Back