New Mainsheet

abgates

I want to replace my mainsheet. Anyone know where I can get 30' (or whatever's a good mainsheet length) of 8mm Orion 300 in white-and-blue or just white with an integrated spliced on sunfish snap hook? Here's a link to the rope I think would be good, but I don't know where to get the snap hook spliced on. Cruising

I want to replace my mainsheet. Anyone know where I can get 30' (or whatever's a good mainsheet length) of 8mm Orion 300 in white-and-blue or just white with an integrated spliced on sunfish snap hook? Here's a link to the rope I think would be good, but I don't know where to get the snap hook spliced on. Cruising
From West Coast Sailing, Sunfish 8 mm mainsheet with spliced on shackle/snap hook.

Before you order, I'd call them and ask how long the mainsheet is. I like 33 feet because the allows you to have the boom perpendicular to the centerline of your boat when you are sheeted out all the way and still have some line left over that goes through your mainsheet block and cleated on a cam cleat somewhere. Does your Sunfish have a mainsheet block of some kind?

Also, if you talk to them you could ask them if they could make you a custom one where the mainsheet is that white and blue color combination you like.

And here's a photo gallery rigging guide that West Cost Sailing provides for the stock, non racing Sunfish. Only now I can't figure out how to get the photos to expand to full size.

- Andy

Last edited:
Thanks so much. The West Coast Sailing photo gallery was very interesting and informative. My Sunfish does not yet have a mainsheet block but I'm planning to add one this Fall.

Do most people get a halyard and mainsheet that are the same color, or is there some advantage in getting them in different colors? It seems to me that both ropes in the same color scheme would look nicer.

The original main sheet was around 22 feet or so, but those boats didn't have deck blocks. Once we start adding ratchet blocks and 2:1 purchase, the sheet needs to be much longer. Hopefully someone will go out to their boat and measure or a Sunfish dealer on this Forum will help out. For maximum safety you'd want enough sheet so that the sail could feather forward, and not sail off after a capsize recovery, but most people don't do that.

As for color, use the same color if that is what you like. Folks use different colors for the multiple lines of running rigging that gets fiddled with in small dinghy cockpits, there is only one string in the Sunfish cockpit, the sheet.

One stick, one string.

West Marine sells New England Sta-Set in different diameters that is flecked red, red-blue or blue, or solid white. They also offer rigging services that could add a snap hook. Personally we just tie the hook on with a bowline and that has worked for decades. Or you could buy some waxed twine and whip the line yourself, that is a lot of fun and keeps your ship looking ship shape.

The original main sheet was around 22 feet or so, but those boats didn't have deck blocks. Once we start adding ratchet blocks and 2:1 purchase, the sheet needs to be much longer. Hopefully someone will go out to their boat and measure or a Sunfish dealer on this Forum will help out. For maximum safety you'd want enough sheet so that the sail could feather forward, and not sail off after a capsize recovery, but most people don't do that.

As for color, use the same color if that is what you like. Folks use different colors for the multiple lines of running rigging that gets fiddled with in small dinghy cockpits, there is only one string in the Sunfish cockpit, the sheet.

One stick, one string.

West Marine sells New England Sta-Set in different diameters that is flecked red, red-blue or blue, or solid white. They also offer rigging services that could add a snap hook. Personally we just tie the hook on with a bowline and that has worked for decades. Or you could buy some waxed twine and whip the line yourself, that is a lot of fun and keeps your ship looking ship shape.

Thank you!

Back