New Laser Sailor Has A Question.

MaxStar

Hey everyone. I was out sailing my Laser for the second time today. It was windy, 15-18. I fell off onto a downwind course and eased the main. I went to raise the daggerboard and dropped the sheet. The main ran all the way out and almost instantly I deathrolled to windward. I was just wondering what causes a deathroll. Was it only because I dropped the sheet?

By the way, I was reaching back and forth today absolutely flying. The boat "humming" right along. What an awesome boat.

Thanks!

It was basically because you let the boom out too far Max. Tie a stopper knot in your main sheet so it can't go past about 75deg. Search on here for death roll and you'll find plenty of explanations.

No idea if this is the explanation (not what but why) - but it was what I was told and others feel free to correct me.

When the boom goes too far forward, so the upper portion of the sail moves forward of the mast. As the force from the wind will be at right angles to the sail, so the force will be forward and across the mast (i.e. across the boat away from the boom). Thus, when the wind catches you, the upper portion of the sail (forward of the mast) is generating a force tipping you to windward. As this force if high up the mast, it has a lot of leverage. Add to that the fact that you are probably sitting on the windward side, so your own weight is helping tip you in to windward.

e.g., on starboard gybe and you are sitting on starboard with the boom way too far forward (upper portion of sail in front of the mast). Lower portion of sail is generating force ahead and to port (but being closer to the deck this has less leverage). Upper portion of the sail ahead of the mast is creating a force ahead and to starboard - and being high has more leverage (and may be in stronger wind as well). And you go for a swim (I do anyway).

What has happened to me a couple of times (and it is quite embarrassing) is that whilst I am fiddling tying the rudder downhaul (thus close to the shore in full view of everybody), the boom swings too far forward, small gust and there is no "rolling" as such but just a quick flip over and in to windward. Goes directly and fast.

Ian

Back