New boat prices thru the years

jsdeimel

Anyone recall what they paid for a new boat in years past (I'm talking back to the start). I find it amazing that a 30 year old beat up fish holds more of its original value % wise then all most any other boat on the market.

I purchased my first new Sunfish in April, 1973. I paid about $550 for it. This did not include a trailer. I car topped it on my 1970 VW bug. I purchased it from a dealer in Columbia, SC. He had about ten Sunfish stacked in their shipping boxes in his store. All I had to do was pick out what color I wanted. In 1983 I purchased another new Sunfish. It was purchased new/used after a weekend of racing on Lake Pontchartrain, LA. I think I paid about $1100 for it. I still have that boat and use it regularly on Lake Hartwell, GA.

And the 1973 sunfish would probably sell today for MORE than what you originally paid for it over 30 years ago!!! Amazing for the boat business.

I couldn’t remember the exact price so I called my Mom to get the story right :p …to the best of her recollection the New boat price in the Spring of 75’ was $595.

My family actually bought our first “Brand New” Sunfish that spring. It was part of a group purchase with 11 or 12 other Yacht Club Members (Tiverton RI). The factory gave them great pricing, only $350 a boat! Can you imagine?

The boat eventually was left down to me officially in 1984 and I promptly sold it for $400 to my neighbor. I then spent $850 on an 81’ (which I sold for $500 in 1990 after it got trashed in a storm).

This kind of return on investment is truly remarkable!

Sunfish Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price from the sales brochures

1963 .......... $476 ......... Today's dollars* = $3,036.02

1965 ......... $368 ......... Today's dollars* = $2,277.26
(Hull Only)

1966 ......... $486 ......... Today's dollars* = $2,924.09

1968 ......... $507 ......... Today's dollars* = $2,845.32

2007 Standard Sunfish $3565.00 (APS)

Not to mention today's boats incorporate improved technologies.

Working backwards, a 1965 boat sold today for $600 would have a value of $97 in 1965 dollars.

* Using the Consumer Price Index -
The calculator found only goes up to 2005
http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/compare

for comparison, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in 1965 $0.60; Today's dollars $3.71

Brochure information from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor

That's what gets me. There's a 72 or 74 on the Vanguard site for $950. It really blows my mind I bought a J-24 for a $1000 sailed it for a year and sold it for the same. But the little fish still holds value. How would have thunk, it a sunfish going up in value. Should I buy some and store them to pay for the kids college??

jsdeimel said:
Should I buy some and store them to pay for the kids college??

If I were you I would be very leery of buying anything from Vanguard with the hopes that it will go UP in value! ;)

Back