new boat need help

r.keller91

i am a 16 year old teen and have just bought a 800 dollar sunfish sailboat i know how to sail so that is not what i need help with

but recently i ruptured my spleen doing some tubing at a lake near memphis (pickwick) so after the surgery the doctor told i could not do any real activity for 4 weeks

so with my new sailboat there are a couple of minor problems i have orginal wood dagger and rudder so i have polished and resealed those i have repaired the sail with lots of rip stop tape

so having finised that i am now becoming sick of the tv so i want to repaint the topside of the boat although ther is nothing wrong with it except a few spider cracks. the sail is red white and blue and the boat has a couple of red and blue stripes. so what do i need to do i have read pretty much every post talking about paint but i still have no clue how to do it i will post some pictures tomorrow

my plan for the desiogn is one large blue sript going down the middle of the boat with 1 or 2 inch red stripe going aroud the outermost part of the boat

all help will be needed i have no clue how to paint this boat

RK, sorry to hear of your predicament. Rather than re-writing what the professionals have done a better job of or just giving you a couple of tips that require some basic painting knowledge to make sense of, let me point you to resources I know for a good start on learning.

Jamestown Distributors [ http://www.jamestowndistributors.com ] is a good place to look at the brands of marine paints and read about their properties.

For each brand and type of paint Jamestown provides a link to the producer where you can often find more in-depth technical information and prep and application instructions. Interlux and Awlgrip have very extensive web pages about applying their products.

Check out the boat maintenance books at Amazon.com. Amazon lets you see sample pages of many books so you can judge if they contain what you want to learn and if the book is written in a manner you understand. Whether or not you buy from Amazon doesn't matter. My suggestion there is you get a good book on the subject you feel comfortable will guide you through your project.

The Manta Ray, I gather—not the cruiser wake.

Manta Ray towables had been recalled, but they were still out there being towed around yesterday.

Back