Need rudder for 1966 sunfish

bierman_2001

I've got an old sunfish that I've dated back to 1966 from the serial number. I got the boat for a buck last fall. Over the winter I invested in a new sail and rigging. The rudder had a crack running the length of the rudder along the grain from the hole where the tiller attaches . I doweled and epoxied the rudder back together, but yesterday it gave out.

Its quite beyond repair at this point. Does anyone know of a source for rudders for the old-style boats. Any advice on homemade rudders? Will the new rudder work if I simply drill a new hold for the tiller or will that weaken the rudder too much? Am I better off converting to the new style? $367 seems a little steep for an old boat.

Thx

I had an old style paddle rudder on a '68. It also broke and back then apx '76 I didn't know any better and just bought a new rudder blade at a dealer and fit it to the old style fittings. Still working last time I knew.

Put an ad in the WANTED section and/or check the FOR SALE section. There are people who make good rudders at a fraction of the cost of a new one. You may have to finish the rudder with varnish.

Fred

And as an Addition back when I bolted the new rudder blade to the old paddle style rudder hardware the then class measurer said it was legal.

Back