There are plenty of discussions on motor mounts, but I just thought I would add this one since I just installed my motor mount yesterday. The various other threads were helpful as I decided how I would go about the task. Previously I had been simply mounting the motor on the transom, but as others have found, there is interference with the running rigging. I reversed both brackets to allow me to move the mount a little further from the rudder. This eliminated the rudder contact, and I still had room on the mount to fit the Minn Kota. I believe turning both brackets inward can sometimes be too tight for some larger motors/engines. I used all six mounting holes to spread the load as much as I could, and added a square of white plastic as a spacer on the outside for the same reason. This was basically made from a white kitchen cutting board that's about 1/2" thick. I discovered that I do have blocking within the transom of this boat. As you can see, I previously installed a power socket close to the motor. My battery sits inside the cuddy.