Minifish...what fun!

callerguy

Cush Maker
My minifish has quickly become my family's favorite member of our "fleet." It is the easiest of our boats to rig and sail singlehanded. Why was their production run so short?

Thanks.

No sales and the pricing was close to that of a Sunfish.
Zuma, Puffer, Force 5, and others all started out about that time.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with my Minifish. It is NOT a Sunfish, however its light weight beats the Sunfish by miles!

No Sunfish knockoff ever sold particularly well, so even tho the manufacturer knocked off their own boat, I think they were stuck with the "knockoff curse."

BB

I don't know why the minifish production was cut so short, as I too owned ( "santa lucia" was unfortunately stolen recently) a minifish. I rigged mine with a normal sized 75 Square foot sunfish sail- you can imagine what a thrill it was in a heavy breeze.

My neighbor has a minifish, and I have a sunfish. When both out on the lake at the same time, the sunfish seems to outdistance its little brother.

They're both a lot of fun. I'd argue that there's not that much more effort to rig and sail the Sunfish. I guess the hull is heavier, but I just keep it down by the water so it's an easy launch. I guess that's enough to make the minifish easier. Compared to another neighbor's Pico and some of the other small sailboats on the lake both seem like they rig themselves! :)

I have a minifish hull ( damaged -hit by the snow plow-ouch!) with the dagger board & rudder, but no masts or sails. any ideas on getting the masts? do full size fish masts work? I understand that the full size sail will work, so why shouldn't the mast assmebly?

I'd save $25 a year in fees if I had a "Mini-fish".

(It is too short to require registration—in New Hampshire, anyway).

"Live Free or Die" costs—I pay over $100 in sailboat fees (Hobie 18, and SunfishClone 14).

(Thanks, New Hampshire, for letting me "bend" your air).

Back