Minifish Tiller Question

Lodoc

Newbie here. Wife and I sailing since around 1980 on larger boats. Joined last fall and lurking since she decided needed a Sunfish for cottage on Lake Huron. I want to first thank all the experienced members for providing a wealth of information to those of us inexperienced with this size sailboat

Long story short... I got a reasonable deal on a pre-72 Sunfish and picked up a complete later Sunfish on CL at a 'get it out of my garage' price for conversion rudder parts after the previous owner backed his tractor into it and crushed about a 1 foot hole in the hull. Was all looking favorable until wife and girlfriend moved the Sunfish. She was not happy with the 120# weight. So, I picked up a Minifish with a new reproduction sail, original rigging, daggerboard and rudder with tiller. Splashed it for the first time last weekend.

It appears the Minifish came with the correct daggerboard as it's shorter than the Sunfish by about 4-6 inches. However, the Mini tiller appears to be from a Sunfish at 44 1/4 inch length. It extends into the cockpit - I sailed it last weekend and it's in the way while moving around the small cockpit. Found one previous post indicating the original tiller is approximately 9 inches shorter. Does anyone have an exact measurement of the tiller on a Minifish before I cut it? Or what length recommendation a female senior citizen would find most comfortable using a hiking stick. I have 2 tillers I can cut - one early style and one late style - or trade for a Mini tiller. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Back