Milang to Goolwa Race Back On

Elanora

After a long hiatus due to low water levels on the Lower Lakes and Murray River, the Goolwa Regatta Yacht Club is relaunching the Milang to Goolwa race on the 22nd of January 2012 along with a week of sailing and social events. Race is open to trailerables, river boats, OTB.... See: www.goolwaregattaweek.com.au Registrations are now open via this site.

After a long hiatus due to low water levels on the Lower Lakes and Murray River, the Goolwa Regatta Yacht Club is relaunching the Milang to Goolwa race on the 22nd of January 2012 along with a week of sailing and social events. Race is open to trailerables, river boats, OTB.... See: www.goolwaregattaweek.com.au Registrations are now open via this site.
G'day Elanora:
Only just found your bit on this site. Being a Goolwa local in the "Great Lakes"(which I hope they are once again) area, I have been curious as to how far up the Coorong one can sail. Driving from Kingston to Milang I have noticed pretty strong winds coming from the sea, over the sand hills and whipping up a few wavelets on the "sheltered" Coorong waters...er...a strong sea breeze would be welcome to disperse the rather odourous air along that body of water that is quite noticable when it is still. If the Coorong is navagable in a sailing dinghy, all this indicates to me that there may be a very usful wind allowing for a broad reach up and back. Any comments in this regard?
Cheers ...Vintagreplica

Hi Vintagreplica, the lakes are back and the sailing is great. We haven't been down the Coorong for a few months, but last time we went past the barrages in our RL28. I've heard the mouth is a bit tricky at the moment. For a sailing dinghy it should be fine.
Cheers

Hi Vintagreplica, the lakes are back and the sailing is great. We haven't been down the Coorong for a few months, but last time we went past the barrages in our RL28. I've heard the mouth is a bit tricky at the moment. For a sailing dinghy it should be fine.
Cheers
Thanks for the reply Elanora. 'Twas only out of interest as my wife and I are ex Victor Harbourites, but we have been stuck in Darwin for 42 years. I only really took to sailing in Perth many years ago and just got back into it last year up here in Darwin, but I have never sailed down your way, hence my curiosity about the Coorong. Darwin has 7metre tides and a 7kt current out of the harbour at full ebb, so it can be a frustrating place to depend on sail alone.
Cheers

Back