May Buy This Sunfish Thoughts?

JoeFL77

Hello, I am considering buying this Sunfish.

Best I can guess from my research, it is a 1972. Not one of those "leakers". A problem with the footwell?

I live in east central Florida near Melbourne. I am 66, hope to teach my grandchildren to sail. I had a Windflite in Miami in my late teens.

I looks clean. That inspection port has been added. The trailer and cover is a plus.

Attachments

• SunfishRudder.jpg
    SunfishRudder.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 51
  • SunfishPortSide.jpg
    SunfishPortSide.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 51
  • SunfishFront.jpg
    SunfishFront.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 51
  • SunfishFootFwd.jpg
    SunfishFootFwd.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 53
  • SunfishInspPort.jpg
    SunfishInspPort.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 54
  • SunfishPortFwd.jpg
    SunfishPortFwd.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 47
  • SunfishDeckAft.jpg
    SunfishDeckAft.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 49
  • SunfishStbdCvr.jpg
    SunfishStbdCvr.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 48
  • SunfishPortTlr.jpg
    SunfishPortTlr.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 48
It sure looks good. Concerns. The inspection ports may signal a problem in the past (leaking, needed to do an interior repair etc.) so ask the seller why the ports were installed and check the hull carefully, especially the mast hole; fill it with water to deck level and see if any drains out. Weigh the hull on decent bathroom scales; balance the hull on its edge. 135 + or - is good for a hull of this vintage. I am guessing this boat was raced owing to the retrofit hiking strap and nice Harken mainsheet rastchet block, good additions.

I think this is a mid-1980s boat. Check the hull I.S. number engraved on the upper starboard side of the transom, The last few numbers will tell you the year it was built.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, (Almost Canada) NY

Allan,

Thanks!

I forgot to included the picture of the hull ID. It looks like it is on port side of the transom. Number 09890.

I thought it should have had the manufacturer and other parts in it. It confused me.

That is a great way to weigh it. I will bring my refrigerant scale. If if is heavy, I think I might be able to dry it out from my reseach using that port. Fixing the leaks is another story. But in Central Florida, drying it should be a lot easier than up north.

This is part nastagla since I had one in my youth. Most of the reasonably priced Sunfish are beat up around here. The cover and trailer would make my life easier too.

SunfishHullID.jpg

Hmmmm. I think this boat may have been built in Canada as the "09890" Hull ID number is not USA standard format. Others here on the forum may know fore sure. Maybe make a separate post to ask.

Alan Glos

Hey Joe,
Dan here at Paddling Paradise in Palm Bay. We just brought in Sunfish and SOL sailboats and parts. We would be happy to help with anything you need. Also the Melbourne Yacht Club is a great resource for sailing.

Alan,

I have done a lot of reading and have gotten myself confused too.

I seem to remember someone saying that in a particular state if you do entensive hull repairs, you must give it a new hull number.

I will fill up the mast hole with water, measure the weight, and look at the boat in general, then guess.

Thanks,
Joe

Alan,

I have done a lot of reading and have gotten myself confused too.

I seem to remember someone saying that in a particular state if you do entensive hull repairs, you must give it a new hull number
Hmmmm. I think this boat may have been built in Canada as the "09890" Hull ID number is not USA standard format. Others here on the forum may know fore sure. Maybe make a separate post to ask.

Alan Glos

I will fill up the mast hole with water, measure the weight, and look at the boat in general, then guess.

Thanks,
Joe
Out of curiosity, I checked Canada's rules for serial numbers, and they're no different than the US'. (Except they require a second identical s/n that must be hidden).

My boat otherwise conforms in every way to a mid-70s Sunfish, so maybe these were batch-built for a huge sailing club, foreign country, or special (large) event(s).

Our two boats' mysterious numbers will have to remain so until something turns up.
:confused:

L&VW,

Yes, quite a mystery. Back in the 1970s things were different. Before computers and the internet, most things were not documented well.

Back