Mast/upper spar friction

altair

I recently saw someone place a piece of pvc like material around the part of the mast where the upper spar rests against the mast. He said it was for two reasons, to eliminate the friction and to create space between the spar and mast so the ties will not bind. Is this legal? If so what material would you use? PVC seems to thick. Sounds like a very good idea if legal.

The Class Measurer gave me this advice: "if it's not in the rules, it's not legal".

As far as I know the only legal modification to a mast is adding a mast cheat.

As for that poly ring, first of all there's no real friction as the upper spar is stationary with respect to the mast if you rig it correctly. And any sail tie that would be in contact with the mast will still be in contact with the ring.
Folks do run rings of tape on the upper spar, but that more to hold the position of the halyard and keep it from slipping.

That PVC is illegal. Plus, most people use line instead of clips in that area to prevent the clips from binding between the spar and the mast, which is a legal solution to the issue. And there is no issue of friction there - it just isn't enough to make a difference. BB

Mast cheats are especially illegal. :D

Or at least they would be except for rule:

3.5.9 One cleat of any type may be installed on the mast not more than four (4‟) feet from the base, for cleating the line used to tie the „Jens Rig‟ (Ref. Rule 3.7.3). It may also be used to cleat the halyard. If utilized, there must be some means to securely attach the rig to the hull using the end of the halyard.

Back