Mast track repair

FearNaut

My mast fell back on the stern and caused the boom slide to rip out of the mast track. Anyone else have this problem and found a fix?? Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240605_203134455.jpg
    PXL_20240605_203134455.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240605_202140848.jpg
    PXL_20240605_202140848.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
Knowing the year and mod version may help you get some answers. My Mod 3, 2015, has Selden spars and their goose neck is fixed in position, pop riveted and sealed in place within the slot in the mast. Hopefully you will get some responses; I seem to remember some old threads dealing with closing up the width of the slot on older damaged masts. Securing the gooseneck fitting in a fixed position may end up being your best bet after deciding on the proper placement. Catalina Direct may or may not have anything which will help. They at least offer a modification kit for the gooseneck slide, but that may not be a solution either.

Knowing the year and mod version may help you get some answers. My Mod 3, 2015, has Selden spars and their goose neck is fixed in position, pop riveted and sealed in place within the slot in the mast. Hopefully you will get some responses; I seem to remember some old threads dealing with closing up the width of the slot on older damaged masts. Securing the gooseneck fitting in a fixed position may end up being your best bet after deciding on the proper placement. Catalina Direct may or may not have anything which will help. They at least offer a modification kit for the gooseneck slide, but that may not be a solution either.
Thanks, it's 1987, probably a mod 1?. I called CD, but nothing helpful. I called mastgates.com and he had some creative ideas, like inserting a 5/8ths OD, 0.05 wall tube with a slot cut into it. Pushing it into the slot from the end of the mast and glueing it in the area needing repair. It will be a very tight fit.
Initially I'm going to try screwing a tang to cover the damaged side of the slot and then use hose clamps to hold the top and bottom of the boom slide in the slot. When the tubing arrives I'll try that for a more permanent fix that extends under both damaged areas.

Back